Check your account email address ×

Some Masks Can Be Worse Than Not Wearing One at All: Physics of How Masks Affect Airflow and COVID-19 Protection

I wonder how many people wear their masks day in and day out? 

I wonder how many people do not properly handle their masks?

I wonder if more people are doing more harm than good for themselves?

Mayo issued a very good report on the effectiveness of masks. Basically it’s the larger water droplets that contain the high viral loads. Control the larger water droplets and the potential spread is largely mitigated. Some of the small droplets will get through, but they carry far less of a VL. 

53 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

I wonder how many people wear their masks day in and day out? 

I wonder how many people do not properly handle their masks?

I wonder if more people are doing more harm than good for themselves?

What I've said since day 1.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Mayo issued a very good report on the effectiveness of masks. Basically it’s the larger water droplets that contain the high viral loads. Control the larger water droplets and the potential spread is largely mitigated. Some of the small droplets will get through, but they carry far less of a VL. 

So ya only then get a little Corona Virus?

Edited by XCR1250

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Which has nothing to do with protecting you... If you are going to wear a mask, why not wear a mask to protect yourself? Why do you trust society to keep you safe and healthy? Do you look both ways when you cross the street? Even in a crosswalk? Do you trust the driver to see you and stop? Should I smack the junk food out of your hand because it is my job to ensure you are healthy? Should I crush every cigarette out of someone's mouth to keep them healthy? Should I cut the ignition wire on your snowmobile to keep you from possibly getting in a accident? Protect yourself, wear a damn mask to keep you safe if you are concerned. 

42 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

Which has nothing to do with protecting you... If you are going to wear a mask, why not wear a mask to protect yourself? Why do you trust society to keep you safe and healthy? Do you look both ways when you cross the street? Even in a crosswalk? Do you trust the driver to see you and stop? Should I smack the junk food out of your hand because it is my job to ensure you are healthy? Should I crush every cigarette out of someone's mouth to keep them healthy? Should I cut the ignition wire on your snowmobile to keep you from possibly getting in a accident? Protect yourself, wear a damn mask to keep you safe if you are concerned. 

Whatever dude.