Check your account email address ×

Bravo Portland!

Highmark

• Platinum Contributing Member

I get the "good" that could occasionally come from this tech but in general I'm against it. 

Portland enacts most stringent facial recognition technology ban in US, barring public, some private use

https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-facial-recognition-technology-ban

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

CRyMiNalz ShUid NoT be IdeNtiFyd!!!!!  MUh RHytez!!!!!

Not in this manner on public property.   If a private business wants to use it fine.....I have a choice as to whether or not I want to patronize that business.

Govt doesn't have the right to know where I'm at just because.   Likely they already do with smart phones but that doesn't mean we have to agree with it.

The temptation for abuse is too powerful for govt.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You’re a fucking idiot 

Portland.  That’s all that needs to be said.

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Not in this manner on public property.   If a private business wants to use it fine.....I have a choice as to whether or not I want to patronize that business.

Govt doesn't have the right to know where I'm at just because.   Likely they already do with smart phones but that doesn't mean we have to agree with it.

The temptation for abuse is too powerful for govt.

I no longer see enough of a distinction between private or public monitoring and personal rights abuse.  They both work together to violate all of our privacy and hide between a myriad of private “acknowledgments” and “agreements” we have to digitally sign to use services.  To look around any public area and see the growth of cameras and NOT think they are being used illegally to spy on the public is naive.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Portland.  That’s all that needs to be said.

I no longer see enough of a distinction between private or public monitoring and personal rights abuse.  They both work together to violate all of our privacy and hide between a myriad of private “acknowledgments” and “agreements” we have to digitally sign to use services.  To look around any public area and see the growth of cameras and NOT think they are being used illegally to spy on the public is naive.

Public camera's are one thing.....facial recognition is completely another.......and by public camera's I don't mean traffic cams. 

Edited by Highmark