Check your account email address ×

Explosion in Jay Maine

ckf

8 minutes ago, snowstorm said:

friend of mine was an engineer there just retired. the digester liquid is corrosive and hazardous he says they will be down for a while 

Were they operating with any decent margins?  Wouldn't be shocked if this ends up with that mill shuttered.  Most paper mills in the US are just barely holding on.

when the ip owned it it was a real paper mill. then verso bought it. verso a group of billionaires that thought they would get richer quick. they sold the hydro dam. paper industry up here is fine. sappi from south africa keeps building on. 9 dragons from china has a big mill in rumford and just reopened 1 in old town. then another chinese owned mill in woodland and 3 rivers way north half that mill is in canada

5 minutes ago, Snake said:

Was told it was 1 of 4 digesters that blew.

probably.  On a single blow tank, 4 digesters is about the sweet spot for efficiency of the cook cycles.  You can only blow one digester at a time.

Haven't used the saying for a long time, but think I'll bring back "I've gotta go blow my digester" to indicate the need for a hearty dump.

Edited by Matt
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, snowstorm said:

when the ip owned it it was a real paper mill. then verso bought it. verso a group of billionaires that thought they would get richer quick. they sold the hydro dam. paper industry up here is fine. sappi from south africa keeps building on. 9 dragons from china has a big mill in rumford and just reopened 1 in old town. then another chinese owned mill in woodland and 3 rivers way north half that mill is in canada

We took many of our customers on tours of the mill. It was always interesting to see. We purchased thousands of tons of their paper over the years. They produced high quality uncoated bonds and offsets.

1 hour ago, snowstorm said:

My dad worked at all of those mills during shutdowns when I was a kid. I remember my mom and I going with him when he worked in Woodland.  We stayed at a cool campground right on the coast in Perry.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Snake said:

2 were active of the 4.... just what I was told

buddy of mine was an engineer there. retired 6 months ago he says they are done. the paper mill could run if they can buy processed pulp form somewhere else but there would be little to no profit

7 minutes ago, ckf said:

My dad worked at all of those mills during shutdowns when I was a kid. I remember my mom and I going with him when he worked in Woodland.  We stayed at a cool campground right on the coast in Perry.

cool or cold in july if the fog comes in

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, snowstorm said:

buddy of mine was an engineer there. retired 6 months ago he says they are done. the paper mill could run if they can buy processed pulp form somewhere else but there would be little to no profit

Yup

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, ckf said:

Yes, I have been to Mary's. My mother was from Berlin. I spent a lot of time at my grandparents in Berlin during the summer when  i was a kid.  It used to STINK back then,   lol

Love Mary’s. Heading up that way tomorrow to pick up a new oven. Ours crapped out. Top furniture 

Edited by Shifty
  • Like 1