Check your account email address ×

Where have all the heart attacks gone?

• Platinum Contributing Member

Interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/well/live/coronavirus-doctors-hospitals-emergency-care-heart-attack-stroke.html

The hospitals are eerily quiet, except for Covid-19.

I have heard this sentiment from fellow doctors across the United States and in many other countries. We are all asking: Where are all the patients with heart attacks and stroke? They are missing from our hospitals.

Yale New Haven Hospital, where I work, has almost 300 people stricken with Covid-19, and the numbers keep rising — and yet we are not yet at capacity because of a marked decline in our usual types of patients. In more normal times, we never have so many empty beds.

Our hospital is usually so full that patients wait in gurneys along the walls of the emergency department for a bed to become available on the general wards or even in the intensive care unit. We send people home from the hospital as soon as possible so we can free up beds for those who are waiting. But the pandemic has caused a previously unimaginable shift in the demand for hospital services.

Some of the excess capacity is indeed by design. We canceled elective procedures, though many of those patients never needed hospitalization. We are now providing care at home through telemedicine, but those services are for stable outpatients, not for those who are acutely ill

What is striking is that many of the emergencies have disappeared. Heart attack and stroke teams, always poised to rush in and save lives, are mostly idle. This is not just at my hospital. My fellow cardiologists have shared with me that their cardiology consultations have shrunk, except those related to Covid-19. In an informal Twitter poll by @angioplastyorg, an online community of cardiologists, almost half of the respondents reported that they are seeing a 40 percent to 60 percent reduction in admissions for heart attacks; about 20 percent reported more than a 60 percent reduction.

And this is not a phenomenon specific to the United States. Investigators from Spain reported a 40 percent reduction in emergency procedures for heart attacks during the last week of March compared with the period just before the pandemic hit.

And it may not just be heart attacks and strokes. Colleagues on Twitter report a decline in many other emergencies, including acute appendicitis and acute gall bladder disease.

The most concerning possible explanation is that people stay home and suffer rather than risk coming to the hospital and getting infected with coronavirus. This theory suggests that Covid-19 has instilled fear of face-to-face medical care. As a result, many people with urgent health problems may be opting to remain at home rather than call for help. And when they do finally seek medical attention, it is often only after their condition has worsened. Doctors from Hong Kong reported an increase in patients coming to the hospital late in the course of their heart attack, when treatment is less likely to be lifesaving.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

COVID cured heart disease.

I'm guessing at least a small % of deaths from other causes are being attributed to covid19.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

I'm guessing at least a small % of deaths from other causes are being attributed to covid19.

It’s a chicken and egg argument 

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Pretty crazy. Seems like the only explanation is that people just don't want to be near a hospital so they just stay home instead of go in with every chest pain or tummy ache. 

Nobody is doing anything either ....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

You mean like working or over stressing?  The things that cause a heart attack?

Yup or going to the gym or playing sports or anything really

• Like 1

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

That is very rare and not enough to skew the numbers on the least. 

It’s not rare at all.  Any cause of death where the deceased has tested positive for the covid diagnosis, before or after death, is being penciled in as a covid death.  This is not the standard way to do this.  

It’s not rare at all.  Any cause of death where the deceased has tested positive for the covid diagnosis, before or after death, is being penciled in as a covid death.  This is not the standard way to do this.  

It’s a fucking rounding error you meathead

Link to some numbers that support your position that its not rare. 

Just now, Zambroski said:

A fucking rounding error? Post that fucking link!

You’re too dumb to interact with....I feel myself getting dumber just trying to understand how fucking dumb you are

Yep...Covid death numbers are being greatly inflated and the stories about hospitals being overwhelmed and not having enough PPE are bullshit...fucking place is getting as bad as HCS and TBP.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yep...Covid death numbers are being greatly inflated and the stories about hospitals being overwhelmed and not having enough PPE are bullshit...fucking place is getting as bad as HCS and TBP.

Its only a couple of dipshits here that don't get it. The vast majority of people on this forum understand whats going on. :bc: 

• Like 1