Check your account email address ×

Rural hospital closures hit record high in 2019 — here's why

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

Most of them close to my cabin in northern Michigan got bought out by Munson (big hospital in traverse city). 

SSM is making a move in my area. They've got lots of dough and have dropped three satellite clinics since last summer. There’s less people opting to live in rural areas. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Most of them close to my cabin in northern Michigan got bought out by Munson (big hospital in traverse city). 

Charlevoix has a very good hospital that brought in a lot of big donations from many wealthy local residents but it’s now part of the Munson Network. Northern Michigan Hospital in Petoskey was bought by McLaren Health Systems. 

Low patient volume and heavy reliance on government payers are among the challenges rural healthcare organizations have faced for years.

Let's make all hospitals depend on government payers!!!!11!1

Where I grew up in rural MN, they actually just opened a new hospital and apparently it is doing well.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Charlevoix has a very good hospital that brought in a lot of big donations from many wealthy local residents but it’s now part of the Munson Network. Northern Michigan Hospital in Petoskey was bought by McLaren Health Systems. 

The one in Caddy and Manistee say Munson on them now. Manistee just closed it’s neo natal unit because it’s so slow. People in that area have to drive a long way to have a kid.

Edited by Edmo

9 minutes ago, Edmo said:

The one in Caddy and Manistee say Munson on them now. Manistee just closed it’s neo natal unit because it’s so slow. People in that area have to drive a long way to have a kid.

Yeah that isn’t good...Charlevoix has a great Maternity Department...rooms with a view of the lake and our daughter was born less than 5 minutes from home. Like I said we are fortunate to live in an area with a lot of wealthy retirees that helped to make the hospital what it is.

33 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Are you saying the article he posted is bullshit? Feel free to refute it.

I don't click on his crap and when I post I make sure to post some type of first paragraph of an article to at least let people know that it isn't some click bait they don't want to read or subscribe to. 

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

I don't click on his crap and when I post I make sure to post some type of first paragraph of an article to at least let people know that it isn't some click bait they don't want to read or subscribe to. 

So you follow me around like a whining puppy while  incessantly complaining about articles that you never read. That’s just weird. 

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

Goddamn you are a fucking dolt.