Check your account email address ×

XCR 1250

Rod

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

What kind of HP gains would you expect from  simply taking the squish from Around .075 to as tight as you could run without contact on an 800cc engine 

diminishing past about 40 thou and dependent on a myriad of factors like port timing and dome shape

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Well yes That’s why you can’t go to zero 

That and you don't want to trap the fuel in the squish causing it to ignite there, squish is there to speed up the mix into the combustion chamber, I suspect you already knew that.

Just now, XCR1250 said:

That and you don't want to trap the fuel in the squish causing it to ignite there, squish is there to speed up the mix into the combustion chamber, I suspect you already knew that.

Yes but too loose of a squish doesn’t blow it into the combustion chamber very well either 

on car engines we call it the quench and we run it as tight as we can without contact because it actually reduces detonation and encourages a better mix 

10 hours ago, ACE said:

Yes but too loose of a squish doesn’t blow it into the combustion chamber very well either 

on car engines we call it the quench and we run it as tight as we can without contact because it actually reduces detonation and encourages a better mix 

Too loose slows it down, years ago 2 strokes didn't have/use a squish band. I use solder or clay to determine what I want to get to then mill or Lathe cut more to get there.

Edited by XCR1250

well buy a dyno dumbass. you think someone on fs is going to tell you exact hp and torque gains by narrowing the squish band? it will give you gains across the entire rpm range, but will give best gains by limiting detonation. so the best gains aren't measured in hp, but in how much pistons that went kablamo in an engine running full blast

18 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Too loose slows it down, years ago 2 strokes didn't have/use a squish band. I use solder or clay to determine what I want to get to then mill or Lathe cut more to get there.

I’d use solder as well. The 660 Polaris motors worked well with a squish of .050”. Eric Gorr milled a head that cut it down to .040. He also reworked the chamber. The motor had incredible mid range but laid down a bit on top end. It ran good with that head until some less than ideal gas burned it down. I recut the head to .050 and regained the top end. Lesson: gain some lose some. Did you know Larry Rugland?