Check your account email address ×

Harley 2007 HD Heritage Softail FLSTC oil filter?

irv

Looking for advice with my SIL's Harley, namely the oil filter. Her previous boyfriend, by the looks of things, screwed this filter up trying to remove it. I assume it is a K&N and it looks like he stripped/broke the nut off the end of the filter? I would say whoever installed it likely over tightened it and that is what caused him grief but I am unsure?

Anyways, as you can see in the pic, it looks like there is a chrome cover covering the majority of the filter. (or is that part of the filter and is all one piece?)) Any idea if this will come off on its own or does the filter have to come off first? I am guessing, based on the pic, which I didn't take, the filter needs to come out/off first? If this cover doesn't come off then I am not sure if I will be able to remove the filter since the end nut is screwed up on it? I haven't personally looked at the bike to know how much room there is to work in there but I do know the filter is at the front of the engine, that is all. 

Barb's Harley.jpeg

8 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

That's just a chrome oil filter housing.  Pretty common and usually poorly made.

Those nuts always break off.  Grab it will a strap wrench and spin it off.

Good to know. I was thinking it was a chrome cover and the filter was inside of it. I expected it to look like the replacement filter (below) with the finger notches but when I seen it was smooth, it had me thinking cover. I have a strap wrench and a couple metal wrenches as well so it should come off fairly easy with one of those, I hope? Her bike is in her basement so there is no way of moving it until she is able to start and ride it out. There is a more than a bit of a hill from her basement to her driveway so trying to push it up there will be difficult unless we have 2-3 or more guys. 

I have no idea if she has purchased oil yet but I assume some 10W-40 is likely what is recommended? I use Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra in my vehicles so that is what I was thinking I would get for this bike if she hasn't purchased some already? 3 quarts is the recommended amount I read.

I appreciate the info.

Thanks. :bc:

Barbs filter.jpeg

18 minutes ago, irv said:

Good to know. I was thinking it was a chrome cover and the filter was inside of it. I expected it to look like the replacement filter (below) with the finger notches but when I seen it was smooth, it had me thinking cover. I have a strap wrench and a couple metal wrenches as well so it should come off fairly easy with one of those, I hope? Her bike is in her basement so there is no way of moving it until she is able to start and ride it out. There is a more than a bit of a hill from her basement to her driveway so trying to push it up there will be difficult unless we have 2-3 or more guys. 

I have no idea if she has purchased oil yet but I assume some 10W-40 is likely what is recommended? I use Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra in my vehicles so that is what I was thinking I would get for this bike if she hasn't purchased some already? 3 quarts is the recommended amount I read.

I appreciate the info.

Thanks. :bc:

Some will use the indents, others use a nut.  The filter wrenches will spin on the filters like you posted above and the nuts snap off on that style.  I prefer not to use either as they cause stress concentrations and can be a starting point for cracks.  Oil the threads and gasket, spin it on hand tight, and call it good.  Take it off with a metal oil filter wrench or strap wrench.

Don't those Harley's use 20W-50 oil?  You will want something motorcycle specific if it is a wet clutch.

• Platinum Contributing Member

3 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Some will use the indents, others use a nut.  The filter wrenches will spin on the filters like you posted above and the nuts snap off on that style.  I prefer not to use either as they cause stress concentrations and can be a starting point for cracks.  Oil the threads and gasket, spin it on hand tight, and call it good.  Take it off with a metal oil filter wrench or strap wrench.

Don't those Harley's use 20W-50 oil?  You will want something motorcycle specific if it is a wet clutch.

20-50-  mobil has a vtwin mobil 1 for that application

9 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

In the pic I provided, it almost looks to me like they are 2 separate pieces, like the filter is inside a cover. There is a color difference between the 2 pieces (end and side) and what looks like a seam on the outer diameter? I am hoping it is all one piece like you said it was.

As far as oil weight goes, it depends on the ambient temperature but 20W-50 can also be used. I am thinking the other due to our/her clime but it will be up to her what she thinks, if she knows, what she wants in there? The Pennzoil is full syn but I will check out a couple Harley sites or ask my bud down the road who use to build them, what he thinks? 

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

The new chrome replacement filter in the second pic I believe is recommended for her Harley and was most likely purchased at a Harley dealer? I'll ask. I don't skimp out on oil or filters with my vehicles so I won't be with her bike either. I run Fram Ultras or Tough Guards in my vehicles as well as the Pennzoil full syn in all 3 vehicles. Even my Vector gets the full sny treatment and I use Hi-Flo filters in it.

Thanks for the link. :bc:

9 minutes ago, irv said:

In the pic I provided, it almost looks to me like they are 2 separate pieces, like the filter is inside a cover. There is a color difference between the 2 pieces (end and side) and what looks like a seam on the outer diameter? I am hoping it is all one piece like you said it was.

As far as oil weight goes, it depends on the ambient temperature but 20W-50 can also be used. I am thinking the other due to our/her clime but it will be up to her what she thinks, if she knows, what she wants in there? The Pennzoil is full syn but I will check out a couple Harley sites or ask my bud down the road who use to build them, what he thinks? 

The new chrome replacement filter in the second pic I believe is recommended for her Harley and was most likely purchased at a Harley dealer? I'll ask. I don't skimp out on oil or filters with my vehicles so I won't be with her bike either. I run Fram Ultras or Tough Guards in my vehicles as well as the Pennzoil full syn in all 3 vehicles. Even my Vector gets the full sny treatment and I use Hi-Flo filters in it.

Thanks for the link. :bc:

Junk, find something else.  Pretty much anything is better than those.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Junk, find something else.  Pretty much anything is better than those.

:lol:I thought someone would say that. Times have changed and Fram have come a long ways from the OCOD days. (orange can of death) Check out bob is the oil guy . com and go to the filter section. Guys on there are anal and check these out repeatedly with complete tear down and the quality has been excellent for more than a few years now, especially the Ultras which can go 20,000 kms. I never run my oil that long nor my filter so I usually stick with the TG's if the Ultras aren't on sale. Many filters, through their C&P posts certainly aren't what they use to be. Check it out and see for yourself. :bc: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/6/1/engine-oil-filters  

23 minutes ago, irv said:

:lol:I thought someone would say that. Times have changed and Fram have come a long ways from the OCOD days. (orange can of death) Check out bob is the oil guy . com and go to the filter section. Guys on there are anal and check these out repeatedly with complete tear down and the quality has been excellent for more than a few years now, especially the Ultras which can go 20,000 kms. I never run my oil that long nor my filter so I usually stick with the TG's if the Ultras aren't on sale. Many filters, through their C&P posts certainly aren't what they use to be. Check it out and see for yourself. :bc: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/6/1/engine-oil-filters  

Look at those pleats.  Super thin media and huge gaps between the pleats.  No metal end caps, stamped spring plate.  

I don't care what they rate them for.

TG3506e.jpg

TG3506g.jpg

Is that an Extra Guard filter? I don't see any torn media so I am saying it is doing its job for the application it was put on for. Did you check out and cut and post threads from BITOG? The Ultras and TG's come highly recommended. Many previous good filters aren't what they use to be. 

Each their own, but I will continue to use the Ultras and TG's, especially when I have never ending evidence through BITOG that they are excellent even when run for 2 OCI's at times. :bc:   https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/5024537/gonew/1/fram-ultra-users-question#UNREAD