Check your account email address ×

Manafort deal collapses: What it means for Mueller

45 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

It's been talked about behind the scenes for nearly 2 months now.  Mueller has nothing on Trump and almost everyone knows it by now.  

It sounds like they are going to release some shit that "alludes" to a premise of guilt but no actual proof of any crimes by Trump. Its pretty clear that the objective is to take down Trump. And like I have said multiple times, I am not the typical Trump ball washer like others on here. If he is guilty let him hang, I am just not seeing it. 

1 hour ago, Anler said:

Its pretty well known that Mueller doesnt have anything substantial on Trump. Most news sources are moving away from that narrative. The actual evidence is more incriminating for others than it is for Trump. 

Nothing is pretty well known, Mueller has done a great job at keeping things under wraps.

38 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

So what does anything you just quoted have to do with Trump?  Anything?  

Where did I say anything about Trump in this topic?

Here's how my mind works, if I want information on a subject such as oil pipeline maintenance I would ask an expert such as yourself, when I want information on a legal subjects I read the writings of legal experts; now in the case of this opinion piece on the Manafort plea deal collapsing I'm thinking this career prosecutor has some idea of the trade he plied. 

Interesting, which is the word I used to open the topic :news:

When a prosecutor pulls the plug on a cooperator because that cooperator lies, it typically happens not merely because the prosecutor senses in his gut that the cooperator is lying. More often, the prosecutor knows for a fact that the cooperator is lying because the prosecutor has hard evidence to prove the truth of the matter.

Here, we know Mueller has the goods on whatever Manafort lied about -- and whoever Manafort felt a need to protect -- because he told the judge that he "will file a detailed sentencing submission to the Probation Department and the Court in advance of sentencing that sets forth the nature of the defendant's crimes and lies, including those after signing the plea agreement." Translation: Manafort lied, I know it, and I'll prove it at his sentencing if necessary. That should cause serious concern to whoever Manafort sought to protect by lying to federal prosecutors during his proffers.

Here the former prosecutor offers two scenarios:

So, why then would Manafort endanger himself by lying to Mueller? I see two possible explanations. One, perhaps Manafort is simply an arrogant, congenital liar. The trial evidenceproved that Manafort believed he could spin a web of lies and get away with them. He got caught lying to banks and the IRS, and now, unsurprisingly, he has been caught by Mueller. Some cooperators understand that they are best served by telling the truth, for better or worse; others play games with prosecutors and end up getting burned.

Two, Manafort may be playing for a longshot pardon or commutation from Trump. It already has been reported, before Manafort's trial conviction and cooperation plea, that Trump at least discussed the possibility of pardoning Manafort.

Perhaps Manafort has determined on his own that his best chance to earn a pardon is to walk away from Mueller (though it is unclear why Manafort would curry favor with Trump by cooperating with Mueller and then lying; Manafort could have sent the same message of loyalty by refusing to cooperate at all in the first place). Or it is possible -- unproven at this point, but possible, given the chain of events -- that word somehow got to Manafort that, if he scuttled his cooperation with Mueller, he would be rewarded with a pardon. If that happened, then anybody who put the word out, or helped get it to Manafort, would face potential charges for obstruction of justice.

The failure of Manafort's cooperation at first glance seems like a setback for Mueller. But the fact that Mueller was able to call out Manafort's lies suggests he has plenty of evidence in hand to go after whoever Manafort sought to protect.

16 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Nothing is pretty well known, Mueller has done a great job at keeping things under wraps.

Here's how my mind works, if I want information on a subject such as oil pipeline maintenance I would ask an expert such as yourself, when I want information on a legal subjects I read the writings of legal experts; now in the case of this opinion piece on the Manafort plea deal collapsing I'm thinking this career prosecutor has some idea of the trade he plied. 

Interesting, which is the word I used to open the topic :news:

All of the evidence Mueller had on Manafort was unrelated to Trump. So perhaps Manafort is lying to save his own ass. You dont know and neither does anybody else. But if this Russia "conspiracy" still had any steam everybody would be all over it. It died because nothing is there. Even Mueller "alluded" that people should prepare for disappointment. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/19/mueller-investigation-findings-914754

29 minutes ago, Anler said:

All of the evidence Mueller had on Manafort was unrelated to Trump. So perhaps Manafort is lying to save his own ass. You dont know and neither does anybody else. But if this Russia "conspiracy" still had any steam everybody would be all over it. It died because nothing is there. Even Mueller "alluded" that people should prepare for disappointment. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/19/mueller-investigation-findings-914754

We know Alan Dershowitz has been pretty much pro Trump through this whole thing, in fact this deserves it's own topic.

58 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Dave said "nothing to do with Trump"

You rebutted Dave with some bullshit quote that has nothing to do with Trump.  

So far this has nothing to do with Trump and nothing you've posted says otherwise.  Why argue that fact when you have nothing to stand on?  

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Dave said "nothing to do with Trump"

You rebutted Dave with some bullshit quote that has nothing to do with Trump.  

So far this has nothing to do with Trump and nothing you've posted says otherwise.  Why argue that fact when you have nothing to stand on?  

Are you drunk?