Check your account email address ×

EU hammers Apple on taxes

Just now, Highmark said:

You think that everything American companies make outside the US can be made here?   Dude you are delusional.   We don't have 1/100th the labor force needed.   I'm not talking just about goods sold here but around the world.  Just because unemployment is x% doesn't mean there are qualified and willing workers to do the jobs even at $15.00 hr or much more. Sadly 10% of our country or more will do as little work as possible to get by.   Its human nature.

people switch jobs..tons are under employed..its all bs.

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

people switch jobs..tons are under employed..its all bs.

So if someone switches jobs from a company to mine who replaces them at that company?

You are completely wrong on this.   Don't misunderstand me I want the US to make as much as possible but there are limits of what we can even make for ourselves.  You assume everyone who is unemployed or underemployed is willing to work or willing to work in a factory.   Its simply not true.  Even if they were we would not have the workforce to mfg what we consume.  

The idea of full employment is liberal fairy tail land.  

Edited by Highmark

40 minutes ago, Highmark said:

So if someone switches jobs from a company to mine who replaces them at that company?

You are completely wrong on this.   Don't misunderstand me I want the US to make as much as possible but there are limits of what we can even make for ourselves.  You assume everyone who is unemployed or underemployed is willing to work or willing to work in a factory.   Its simply not true.  Even if they were we would not have the workforce to mfg what we consume.  

The idea of full employment is liberal fairy tail land.  

i know what you're saying but i still believe there are enough good workers ready to do half of it at least..but no doubt infation would come and maybe that's not a bad thing...cycles..they have to happen.

I'm not sure that those apple jobs are all that high skilled...but i'm sure some are..techs and what not.

Edited by Capt.Storm

31 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

i know what you're saying but i still believe there are enough good workers ready to do half of it at least..but no doubt infation would come and maybe that's not a bad thing...cycles..they have to happen.

I'm not sure that those apple jobs are all that high skilled...but i'm sure some are..techs and what not.

It goes beyond just the numbers.   The people available have to be willing to work as well.   That's a big issue in our country.  

Just look around in your own life what you have and buy that's not made in America.  Quite a bit.   We don't have nearly the workforce much less the workforce willing and able to make what we consume.   You have to remember China has probably 5x's the available workforce that we do.  

Another thing to keep in mind is economies of scale.  Apple employs about 40,000 people in the US and 20,000 outside the US.   They also utilize contractors or other companies to do huge amounts of work for them.   I've seen upwards of 700,000.   Those contractors do not just work on Apple products.   They work on all sorts of different companies electronics.  Companies do this to make a better profit but also to provide goods at a lower cost which benefit us.   Look at how little we can by LCD or Plasma TV's for these days.  People are very good at making things efficiently.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html

Apple employs 43,000 people in the United States and 20,000 overseas, a small fraction of the over 400,000 American workers at General Motors in the 1950s, or the hundreds of thousands at General Electric in the 1980s. Many more people work for Apple’s contractors: an additional 700,000 people engineer, build and assemble iPads, iPhones and Apple’s other products. But almost none of them work in the United States. Instead, they work for foreign companies in Asia, Europe and elsewhere, at factories that almost all electronics designers rely upon to build their wares.

Edited by Highmark

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

Not everything sold around the world can be made in America.  Its simply retarded to think it can.  

More like retarded to think it can't. At one time America was the world leader in manufacturing and development. Only reason it ain't today is corporate greed 

It would be nearly impossible to bring back a significant amount of manufacturing. We have already polluted the fuck out of alot of our air, water and soil. It is far cheaper to go and pollute other countries than to comply with the labor and environmental compliance we have here.

12 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

So Highmark approves of offshoring and Corporations not paying their fair share of taxes....good to know.

I approve of smart free trade and I approve of NO CORPORATE TAXES PERIOD.  

Taxes are a % of net income, net income is a % of sales, sales are paid for by the customer.   Who pays for taxes?   Customer and stockholders (owners).   Why is it a corp pays income taxes then when they dole it out to the owners they pay income taxes as well on the same fucking money.  

Customers control corporations.   If you don't like them don't buy from them.  We have all the power we just don't wield it very well.  If American's demanded American made goods corps would comply in a heartbeat.  

Edited by Highmark