Check your account email address ×

Trump reportedly poised to ban German luxury carmakers in the US

Dictator Don at work.....

Trump reportedly poised to ban German luxury carmakers in the US

Source: CNBC

President Donald Trump is preparing to impose a total ban on German luxury carmakers from the U.S. market, according to an exclusive report by German magazine WirtschaftsWoche. 

Citing several unnamed U.S. and European diplomats, the weekly business magazine reported that Trump told French President Emmanuel Macron last month he would maintain his trade policy with the aim of stopping Mercedes-Benz models from driving down Fifth Avenue in New York. 

The report comes less than two weeks after the U.S. Department of Commerce launched an investigation into automobile imports to determine whether they "threaten to impair the national security" of the U.S. That could lead to tariffs of up to 25 percent on the same "national security" grounds used to impose metal imports charges in March. 

Europe's autos sector was trading lower shortly after the report was published Thursday, with German automakers leading the losses during mid-morning deals. Shares of Daimler, Porsche and Volkswagen were all trading off around 1 percent on the news.

Read more: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/31/trump-reportedly-poised-to-ban-german-luxury-carmakers-in-the-us.html 

They make a lot of those here now. Some they make here and ship to other places. I’m going to go with BS hit piece for a thousand Alex.

"Sources close to sources that know sources that have sources close to other sources to the sources that are close to the source...of the main source."

Yep...it all adds uo.

But even so...It'd suit me fine.  My last "Ultimate Drive" ended a couple of months ago when I gladly handed over the keys to the last POS German made crap I'll ever buy.  Good fucking riddance.

• Platinum Contributing Member

I can believe it on imported cars.   This follows Trump methods.  

We have about a $65 billion trade deficit with them.

Trump is trying to use trade to make EU countries follow NATO defense spending agreements.   Of which they usually don't.

Trump will use this to pressure them to back the US in the so called Iran deal.

Lets make them take more corn, beans, beef and pork......eh Neal. :lol:  

If Obama did this the left would be praising him. 

In dollar value, the U.S. trade deficit with Germany ranks third biggest of any country. Only China ($347 billion) and Japan ($69 billion) had bigger trade deficits in 2016. Mexico ($63 billion) was not far behind.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/may/30/does-us-have-massive-trade-deficit-germany-donald-/

Edited by Highmark