Check your account email address ×

Any trappers on here

Jet

nobody loves or understands the animal more then the man that makes money from it. If you do it for profit you have my respect!

25 years ago i shot the front leg off a deer, we chased it for 3 days and got it, halfway thru the chase I asked my dad why? He told me we owe it to the animal to retrieve it. 

He made his living trapping for many years

Cool stuff Jet.  Lots of trappers around here.  There is a pretty decent market for all firs here.  A nice wolf will bring north of $500.  A shitty wolf will bring $200.  Fox maybe $150 or so.  Beaver maybe $200.  

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Jet said:

nobody loves or understands the animal more then the man that makes money from it. If you do it for profit you have my respect!

25 years ago i shot the front leg off a deer, we chased it for 3 days and got it, halfway thru the chase I asked my dad why? He told me we owe it to the animal to retrieve it. 

He made his living trapping for many years

wut?

15 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Not to mention the decimation of the ecosystem when the predator/prey balance is out of whack.

Man, by trapping/hunting is part of that ecosystem. Left unchecked, predators will wipe out a local population of game animals. Man, balances that equation with hunting and trapping. 

Re-introduced grizzlies and wolves in Yellowstone ( Montana ) have nearly decimated the elk population. They are going to de-list the bastards soon because their numbers have increased so much. 

Just now, polaris550 said:

Man, by trapping/hunting is part of that ecosystem. Left unchecked, predators will wipe out a local population of game animals. Man, balances that equation with hunting and trapping. 

Re-introduced grizzlies and wolves in Yellowstone ( Montana ) have nearly decimated the elk population. They are going to de-list the bastards soon because their numbers have increased so much. 

Good. Elk are fucking destructive as fuck to an ecosystem when they have no predator pressure. 

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

It's pretty simple.  A skilled trapper knows the animal better than anyone.  He loves the animal because it provides food and income for his family.  

Not really. A trapper, like any hunter, thinks his manor of killing is more skilled and justified, it isn't. It's just killing.

I would rather kill directly unless I was in a survival situation, then all bets are off. Thats just me though

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

Good. Elk are fucking destructive as fuck to an ecosystem when they have no predator pressure. 

Yeah, they will overgraze an area if left unchecked. 

Just now, Kivalo said:

Not really. A trapper, like any hunter, thinks his manor of killing is more skilled and justified, it isn't. It's just killing.

I would rather kill directly unless I was in a survival situation, then all bets are off. Thats just me though

It's about preserving the hide.  

i have found that your true atheists seem to really struggle with subjects like this.  

They said in world war 2 the atheists were terrible out on the front lines. 

Just cant handle 

• Gold Member
Just now, AKIQPilot said:

It's about preserving the hide.  

Thats fine and I have no problem with that. My brothers are in the archery manufacturing business and I have ZERO issue with hunting for profit, NONE of us would eat without it, but I don't believe that someone who profits from an animal's demise "understands it better" , but like I said, thats just me.

1 minute ago, Jet said:

i have found that your true atheists seem to really struggle with subjects like this.  

They said in world war 2 the atheists were terrible out on the front lines. 

Just cant handle 

I'm agnostic, not atheist, and it has nothing to do with the fact that trapping is cruel, inhumane, and completely unnecessary in the 21st century.

Used to go check traps with my neighbors when I was a kid.  I can't say it was my cup of tea.  I never got a big rush from hunting either, but having to kill an animal in a trap was worse being right up close and personal.  

I don't begrudge anyone who does it following the rules.  I'd say it's even necessary in some cases.  

16 minutes ago, Jet said:

Who doesn't love animals? 

You. Hunting is one thing,providing you're a good shot. Trapping, idk. Seems like a lot of pointless suffering until the guy comes to pop it out of its misery. I'm sorry. I just don't get it

4 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Thats fine and I have no problem with that. My brothers are in the archery manufacturing business and I have ZERO issue with hunting for profit, NONE of us would eat without it, but I don't believe that someone who profits from an animal's demise "understands it better" , but like I said, thats just me.

Anyone who spends a lot of time with animals is going to understand them better.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sledderj said:

Anyone who spends a lot of time with animals is going to understand them better.  

Yes, trappers get lots of quality time with the animals they trap and kill. I heard foxes love a scratch behind the ears before you put a bullet there.

Edited by motonoggin

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, sledderj said:

I don't dispute that, nothing I have said in this thread dispute's that. Whats your point?