Check your account email address ×

What Will Gun Controllers Do When Americans Ignore an ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban?

Just a snipit. Read it all....

http://reason.com/archives/2016/06/21/what-will-gun-controllers-do-when-americ

But let's go with it. So, the government somehow defines "assault weapons" in a meaningful way and bans sales of new ones. How is that going to be effective given the millions of disfavored weapons already in circulation? That includes roughly 8 million AR-15-style rifles alone—out of somewhere north of 300 million firearms in general. It's not like they're going anywhere. Plenty of 19th century firearms are still in working condition.

And their numbers will increase, even if commercial production and sales are outlawed. People have been 3D-printing AR-15 lower receivers (the parts legally classified as a firearm) for years. More durable receivers are CNC-milled by hobbyists from partially finished blanks as well as raw blocks of metal. These techniques were developed in anticipation of the laws now proposed, with the specific purpose of rendering them impotent.

Molon labe, remember?

So, a United States the morning after, or a year after, or a decade after a successful effort to ban "assault weapons" will not be the scene of the "domestic disarmament" favored by prominent communitarian sociology professor Amitai Etzioni. It will be more like Prohibition-era America, but with hidden rifles substituting for stockpiled hooch and 3D printers standing in for moonshiners' stills. And probably a bit more tense.

Those defiant gun owners will also be included in the jury pools chosen to sit in judgement of unlucky violators scooped up by law enforcement. That situation will likely replicate the difficulty prosecutors had in getting convictions of Prohibition scofflaws in the 1920s and marijuana law resisters today. "f juries consistently nullify certain types of criminal charges (charges for possession of a small amount of marijuana, for example), this can render an unpopular law ineffective," wrote John Richards at the LegalMatch blog after a jury couldn't even be seated in Montana.

"If you pass laws that people have no respect for and they don't follow them, then you have a real problem," Connecticut Sen. Tony Guglielmo (R-District 35), told the Hartford Courant when large numbers of state residents flipped the bird to lawmakers and defied the new gun law.

Well... yes, you do. And like their restriction-inclined predecessors, gun controllers will have quite a mess on their hands.

41 minutes ago, Ebsell said:

Did they pay any attention to the assault weapon ban of 1994 that lasted 10 years? I ask because I have no idea. I only read of it recently 

They manus had to but there was already so much in circulation that it really didn't do much other than jack prices up to ridiculous levels. Gun shows were making it hand over fist for pre-pan items and I think I dumped 40 or 50 thirty round AR-15 mags for a bundle.  The two AR-15's I bought just before the ban for $550 each went up to $2k each (I kept them anyway).

As for the main topic, I've put my .02 in on this earlier.  There have been some state (NE?) legislation that has been passed requiring all gun owners to register their weapons.  Big no show.  It was a joke.  Any type of legislation that the lib-tards pass will meet with the same success.  And like I posted in the last similar thread, the phrases "come and get them" and "...cold dead hands."  Will be of a less than funny statement.  The government does not have the power or resources to instigate such a foolish endeavor.  But, I'm not so sure they wouldn't try.

So,  COME AND GET THEM!  And bring a lot of fucking body bags.

:lmao:

10 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

They manus had to but there was already so much in circulation that it really didn't do much other than jack prices up to ridiculous levels. Gun shows were making it hand over fist for pre-pan items and I think I dumped 40 or 50 thirty round AR-15 mags for a bundle.  The two AR-15's I bought just before the ban for $550 each went up to $2k each (I kept them anyway).

As for the main topic, I've put my .02 in on this earlier.  There have been some state (NE?) legislation that has been passed requiring all gun owners to register their weapons.  Big no show.  It was a joke.  Any type of legislation that the lib-tards pass will meet with the same success.  And like I posted in the last similar thread, the phrases "come and get them" and "...cold dead hands."  Will be of a less than funny statement.  The government does not have the power or resources to instigate such a foolish endeavor.  But, I'm not so sure they wouldn't try.

So,  COME AND GET THEM!  And bring a lot of fucking body bags.

:lmao:

Now z,

Don't judge them on their outcomes,only only on their good intentions.

Doing it here in Ny. - Safe Gun Act..it's mostly a joke also.

Trouble is it can make otherwise law abiding people criminals.

Edited by Capt.Storm