Check your account email address ×

What do you guys use for a camera?

ckf

10 minutes ago, ckf said:

Bird photography can be a very addicting & expensive hobby, LOL.  l think the Sigma 150-600 is a great lens for the money. The sweet spot seems to be around 500mm-550mm. At 600mm the images are a little soft. I'm sure you already know you can't beat a prime lens when it comes to lenses, but the long ones are so expensive. The Sigma is a good compromise in my opinion.  It's nice to be able to change focal length when it comes to birds and wildlife. When I shot Canon I had the 300 f/4 IS. That lens was as sharp as a tack. Rob even bought one after seeing my bird pics, but he must have gotten a bad one because he wasn't happy with it and ended up selling it. 

Yes, you can use the Sigma on a full frame sensor. The great thing about lenses is that they really hold their value. I've bought refurbished lenses on sale and sold them later on Ebay for more than I paid for them.

Fucking A, did @Zambroski steal my password and type these long posts :lol:

Good info, I might get one of those next week. My 18-200mm IS lense isn't long enough.

2 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

Primes are amazing, but you sure pay for them!   I was thinking about getting a long prime last year until I looked them up.  400mm Prime Nikkor $11,000+ and the 600mm is over $12,000!  Yea, that's a no!  LOL  I'll have to check on the Sigma.  :bc:

LOL on the long posts!

The prices of the long primes jumped in recent years, that's for sure. I bought the Sigma dock too. It makes a big difference once you dial it in :lol:

Just now, Zambroski said:

:lol:

I saw my signal go up and got right over here.

Image result for dick bat signal gif

:lol:

2 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

Good info, I might get one of those next week. My 18-200mm IS lense isn't long enough.

The 300 f/4 IS is a great lens. I also had a 1.4 teleconverter that turns it in to a 420mm f/5,8 lens.

On 2017-05-19 at 0:13 PM, ckf said:

Sounds like a nice camera kit. How much did the new 70-200 f2.8 set you back? Good lenses have gone way up in recent years.

I paid for the 70-200 f2.8 with taxes in Canadian funds $2825.00 It's discontinued now but I'll be damned if I'll pay $3700.00 for the third generation with fl coated glass before taxes. >:(

On 2017-05-19 at 0:13 PM, ckf said:

Sounds like a nice camera kit. How much did the new 70-200 f2.8 set you back? Good lenses have gone way up in recent years.

I paid for the 70-200 f2.8 with taxes in Canadian funds $2825.00 It's discontinued now but I'll be damned if I'll pay $3700.00 for the third generation with fl coated glass before taxes. >:(

Just now, Redheaded Stepchild said:

It's crazy how much they have gone up in the past 10 years. The only good thing is that they hold their value pretty well. Camera bodies on the other hand, not so much.

• Like 1

It's not the camera that takes good or great pictures it's the person using it. My favourite reply when someone says to me "that's a nice camera it must take good pictures" is that's a nice stove, it must cook good meals. :pan:Also the most important part of any camera is the 8 inches behind it.

4 minutes ago, Redheaded Stepchild said:

It's not the camera that takes good or great pictures it's the person using it. My favourite reply when someone says to me "that's a nice camera it must take good pictures" is that's a nice stove, it must cook good meals. :pan:Also the most important part of any camera is the 8 inches behind it.

Agreed. I've taken some photos with my Canon S95 or S100 that when someone sees it they say "you must have one of those expensive cameras" :lol:

• Like 1

On 5/19/2017 at 1:04 PM, Redheaded Stepchild said:

DSLR's that I have are Nikon D4S and Nikon D700. I have for lenses a Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, and just sold my 70-200 f2.8 for the Nikon VRII 70-200 f2.8. 

I started off with the D700 - great camera!  :bc:

• Like 1

I still keep mine for back up. Do you have the battery grip that will boost your continuous high from 5 to 8 pictures per second?

No, I didn't have the grip.  I sold my 700 to my neighbor as he wanted a second camera to take on his paid excursions.  He liked the idea of having two full setups on him when he was on a location.

Just now, SmeeAgain said:

No, I didn't have the grip.  I sold my 700 to my neighbor as he wanted a second camera to take on his paid excursions.  He liked the idea of having two full setups on him when he was on a location.

It's always nice to have a long lens on one body and a shorter lens on the other. If you're getting paid it's frustrating to miss a shot.

• Like 2

I used to always carry two cameras. At the time it was a Canon 5D with 24-105 F/4L lens and a Canon 50D with 300 F/4 IS L. Plus I had a 70-200 F/4 IS L along with a few primes in my bag. I got tired of carrying all of the bulky weight around and switched to micro 4/3 for a while.

• Like 1

It's always nice to have a long lens on one body and a shorter lens on the other. If you're getting paid it's frustrating to miss a shot.

Yes, that was why Ron wanted it.  I don't take pics where I'm worried about losing the shot like him.   I used the cash to get me on my way to the 800.  Ron always said you get your stock of lenses and stay with them while you own several bodies of the time of the lenses.  :bc:

• Like 1

Just now, ckf said:

I used to always carry two cameras. At the time it was a Canon 5D with 24-105 F/4L lens and a Canon 50D with 300 F/4 IS L. Plus I had a 70-200 F/4 IS L along with a few primes in my bag. I got tired of carrying all of the bulky weight around and switched to micro 4/3 for a while.

That would weigh you down a bit!! LOL

1 minute ago, ckf said:

They are heavy. Lol.

That would weigh you down a bit!! LOL

Yes it did. It wasn't just the weight, it was also the size of the bag needed to carry all of that shit. The smaller cameras have come a long way as far as image quality goes. Even the small sensor on my drone can print a good looking 12x18 print.

I really like the size of the Sony ACS-P cameras. If it wasn't for the overheating problem when shooting video I would upgrade my A5000 for an A6300 or A6500. That's why I'm looking at going back to a Panasonic Micro 4/3 camera. I seem to be shooting more video lately.

Just now, ckf said:

Yes it did. It wasn't just the weight, it was also the size of the bag needed to carry all of that shit. The smaller cameras have come a long way as far as image quality goes. Even the small sensor on my drone can print a good looking 12x18 print.

I really like the size of the Sony ACS-P cameras. If it wasn't for the overheating problem when shooting video I would upgrade my A5000 for an A6300 or A6500. That's why I'm looking at going back to a Panasonic Micro 4/3 camera. I seem to be shooting more video lately.

Yes, the technology is getting to the point that you can get a much smaller package and not lose much at all. Once you get a smaller body, the lens can be proportionally smaller too.  With the advancement of sensor tech, and if they keep the megapixel count reasonable, there is no reason why we can't get outstanding results from a smaller package. All the better for the users.  Several years ago I was at Disney and saw a guy carrying around a Nikon D4 with the 14-24mm 2.8 lens to take pics of his family.  That had to weigh 5 pounds!  LOL

33 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

Yes, the technology is getting to the point that you can get a much smaller package and not lose much at all. Once you get a smaller body, the lens can be proportionally smaller too.  With the advancement of sensor tech, and if they keep the megapixel count reasonable, there is no reason why we can't get outstanding results from a smaller package. All the better for the users.  Several years ago I was at Disney and saw a guy carrying around a Nikon D4 with the 14-24mm 2.8 lens to take pics of his family.  That had to weigh 5 pounds!  LOL

IMO a P&S  does a great job shooting snapshots for things like that.

All of this camera talk made me pull out the D7200 & Sigma 150-600mm lens. Hopefully I can get a few bird pics since we have a sunny day here. All I've gotten so far is a pic of Izzy enjoying the sunshine :lol:

150mm f/7.1 1/640 sec ISO 360

20160522-untitled-8.jpg

I wasn't able to get a good bird pic today with the sigma lens. I finally gave up after it clouded up and took a pic of a purple finch on the feeder post instead of on a tree branch like I had hoped to do. Pic was kind of noisy at 3200 ISO. This is a heavy crop. The lens is capable of much sharper images, but it does need better light to do so. Click on the image to see it with better resolution. For some reason the image in the post isn't nearly as good.

Handheld at 600mm f/6.3 1/500 sec ISO 3200

1.jpg