Sign in to follow this  
Poncho

Chrome plating

I need two 4130 steel tubes re-chromed.  The old chrome plating is worn away after 70 years.  They are 18” tubes with an OD of 3/4”. Brampton Mississauga area.  The shop, if any good, should know they would need to normalize the tubes immediately after chroming.

any leads?

05B7F1FF-925A-4167-A4B0-B0C717188FAD.jpeg

Edited by Poncho
Miss word

I can't help you w/ Chrome plating, but you might want to ask these businesses if they know of a plater:

Supreme Galvanizing 905-450-7888

Ardaven Platers 416-252-2222

Pure Metal Galvanizing 905-677-7491

I've dealt w/ the latter 2 shops.

14 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I can't help you w/ Chrome plating, but you might want to ask these businesses if they know of a plater:

Supreme Galvanizing 905-450-7888

Ardaven Platers 416-252-2222

Pure Metal Galvanizing 905-677-7491

I've dealt w/ the latter 2 shops.

Thanks I will give them a call.

• Like 1

Done, surprisingly cheap.  Ardaven...thanks Rev. I refinished the yoke (steering wheel for non-aircraft guys) in the original 1948 colour.

4DA0D1FE-F971-4B62-8C0B-80FAE4FFB227.jpeg

A886E19D-028F-457D-80CE-B46B77987A32.jpeg

• Like 1

I'll need to see C of Cs for the chrome plating, and the refinishing, if those are to be installed on a certified aircraft.  :)

Looks really nice.  What did they charge, and did you have to prep them in any way?  I have 2 old Doo shocks that need doing.....

Are there decals for the yokes? 

12 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

I'll need to see C of Cs for the chrome plating, and the refinishing, if those are to be installed on a certified aircraft.  :)

Looks really nice.  What did they charge, and did you have to prep them in any way?  I have 2 old Doo shocks that need doing.....

Gotta find out the RMS finish.  Don't want any sub par finishes

13 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

In the log book......and trust me, I made sure they were normalize after chrome.  Hydrogen embrittlement...bad thing.

No decal available but I'm trying to get some through a contact in Texas who owns a 170.

Was just wondering if there was one there from factory in '48, would look nice.  If they were factory, were they a decal, or more of an emblem? 

Most people can't even  measure that for a mirror chrome finish.  :)  It'll be a small number, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, 04nightfire said:

Gotta find out the RMS finish.  Don't want any sub par finishes

18 hours ago, Poncho said:

Done, surprisingly cheap.  Ardaven...thanks Rev. I refinished the yoke (steering wheel for non-aircraft guys) in the original 1948 colour.

4DA0D1FE-F971-4B62-8C0B-80FAE4FFB227.jpeg

A886E19D-028F-457D-80CE-B46B77987A32.jpeg

Did they say it was chrome plating? I was under the impression that they didn't 'do' chrome. I'll post a pic of what they did for me last fall. 

15 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

When I've dropped stuff off, I've either bead blasted or wire wheeled the parts. Also, there can't be any 'closed' structures. Example, if you were to weld an 'H' out of square tube, they want a couple of drain holes drilled in the cross piece (same thing req'd when I've had galvanizing done).

I take it you can take the shocks apart?

Edited by revrnd

4 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Was just wondering if there was one there from factory in '48, would look nice.  If they were factory, were they a decal, or more of an emblem? 

They were a decal, now available. I have the decal detail. Emblem came out in 1958 on the 172 series and so on

It's actually the shock bodies that need the chroming.  Maybe they can't do it if the parts are assembled? 

We've done some interesting chrome sprays (aesthetic paint) that produces a mirror chrome-like finish.  Might be better for something that can't be readily disassembled? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

It's actually the shock bodies that need the chroming.  Maybe they can't do it if the parts are assembled? 

We've done some interesting chrome sprays (aesthetic paint) that produces a mirror chrome-like finish.  Might be better for something that can't be readily disassembled? 

I would try that. Chroming an assembly of any sort is a challenge. 

• Thanks 1

Spray chrome paint is cool.  My stuff is plated then normalized. Much different, but redoing a custom car or average vette it would be perfect.

• Like 1

It is , it’s actually silver , and you need a good base coat black . Than spray silver , and because silver tarnishes , you need to apply a clear . But clear has to have blue or violet tints . For best reflective effect .