Check your account email address ×

Hey IceWoman .....looky here

12 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Self construction is not an issue if you have your A&P buddies check your work.  Having them inspect your plane yearly isn't a bad idea with you helping them no matter which route you go. 

It's not even the total number of hours, it's the hours in the type you are flying and your recency- how much have you flown lately.

A bunch of high time ex military pilots are flying Nieuport replicas across Canada right now to commemorate WWI and Vimy Ridge.  I read in a newspaper article that one pilot was quoted as never having flown a biplane before, and likely had no tailwheel time either.  Long story short, these are basically ultralights and they started with 5 planes.  They've groundlooped and destroyed a couple and are now down to 2 and they aren't even out of Ontario yet.

:lol:

I might go do a discovery flight at a school about 5 hours from here. They train their LSA in a Jabiru J-250. Maybe I'll hate being up in a small plane , who knows. This school has a full LSA package and for everything including exam fees etc etc its under 4,000$. They also rent out the Jab for $85 per hour in 10 hour blocks so I could head down there and fly once or twice a year until I bought my own plane.

13 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I might go do a discovery flight at a school about 5 hours from here. They train their LSA in a Jabiru J-250. Maybe I'll hate being up in a small plane , who knows. This school has a full LSA package and for everything including exam fees etc etc its under 4,000$. They also rent out the Jab for $85 per hour in 10 hour blocks so I could head down there and fly once or twice a year until I bought my own plane.

Good idea.  Go to OSH and check out the manufacturers on the field and also the planes at the seaplane base.  Go to your local EAA chapter and sit in on a few meetings and see if these guys will take you flying.  Lots of times guys fly in groups to another airport for breakfast or lunch on a Saturday and they're happy to have someone else along to fill an empty seat.

1 minute ago, ICEMAN! said:

Good idea.  Go to OSH and check out the manufacturers on the field and also the planes at the seaplane base.  Go to your local EAA chapter and sit in on a few meetings and see if these guys will take you flying.  Lots of times guys fly in groups to another airport for breakfast or lunch on a Saturday and they're happy to have someone else along to fill an empty seat.

I'm not gonna make it up to Osh this year...I wanted to but its too short notice and I have vacation coverage and my family coming down the following week. The EAA chapters around here are either about 35 miles north of here or about 40 miles south. I think I'll do a discovery flight and if I dont hate it I'll join the EAA and get involved.

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I'm not gonna make it up to Osh this year...I wanted to but its too short notice and I have vacation coverage and my family coming down the following week. The EAA chapters around here are either about 35 miles north of here or about 40 miles south. I think I'll do a discovery flight and if I dont hate it I'll join the EAA and get involved.

What city are you in these days?

10 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

No I haven't seen them in operation.  There aren't a huge number of experimentals up here.  Cubs and C185's dominate the sky here.  Obviously the cub knock offs (predominantly Cub Crafters) are popular too.  Quite a few Beavers too.  

One of my neighbors has a Murphy Moose with the 360HP Russian Radial in it.  It's a pretty solid plane.  A 185 on Steroids is what we call them.

You can build one of these for about $200k.

9b13d6b46a39ad478e296d48dce8fef0.jpg

Damn , that's a badass lookin machine right there :bc:

• Like 1

Looks like the Jab 230 is pretty well suited to floats ......its not STOL by any means by it should do alright. My lake is about 4800' long from between longest points and that should be no problem to get on and off from at gross of LSA 1320# or even the manu assigned gross of 1540# which is what its tested to and what it normally flies as a 4 seater

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

Also the Jabiru 3300 sounds about 10,000x better than the fart can 4 cylinder rotax engines 

Rotax engines sound like complete garbage.  I can't stand em.  

This is what you need right here.  It's a tried and time tested design.  Has a proper airplane engine, sounds good, has great resale value, amazing visibility out both sides, etc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9PsezNNV0Jc

Edited by ICEMAN!

20 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

Rotax engines sound like complete garbage.  I can't stand em.  

This is what you need right here.  It's a tried and time tested design.  Has a proper airplane engine, sounds good, has great resale value, amazing visibility out both sides, etc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9PsezNNV0Jc

While I appreciate that cub for what it is.....its just lacking nearly everything that is available from a modern plane. Speed , comfort , performance , power , load carrying , safety etc etc.

That is a cool little puddle jumper but you aint gonna fly it 350 miles to a fly in or anything like that