Check your account email address ×

Urban Overlanders - The Ricers of Today

22 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Guy who my brother buys his mineral for his cattle from said he was talking to salesman at Ford dealer in Duluth, and he was talking about the camper dealers. They have tons of inventory and all of these weekend warriors that bought campers during covid are defaulting on their loans.

90% of the rigs purchased from 2020 through 2022 are absolute garbage. Their resale value is far lower than even 6-8 year old rigs due to poor build quality. Manufacturers took advantage of the consumer. A lot of the more experienced builders left Indiana and in place they got replaced with meth heads for assemblers. There's many more reasons for the poor build quality. 

2 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

90% of the rigs purchased from 2020 through 2022 are absolute garbage. Their resale value is far lower than even 6-8 year old rigs due to poor build quality. Manufacturers took advantage of the consumer. A lot of the more experienced builders left Indiana and in place they got replaced with meth heads for assemblers. There's many more reasons for the poor build quality. 

I remember reading that about the quality and heard it from a buddy who was camper shopping at the time. Horrible resale value on a camper with a 15 year loan, sounds wonderful. 

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

I’ll take this Defender…

IMG_2154.jpeg

Eva has an awesome Range Rover with a AluCab from South Africa. I met her briefly at the Utah expo when she was here in the states. She's got a lot of cash wrapped up into it. 

5 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

I remember reading that about the quality and heard it from a buddy who was camper shopping at the time. Horrible resale value on a camper with a 15 year loan, sounds wonderful. 

My daughter and son in law were going to purchase a 2021 pull behind. I intervened and turned them toward a 2018. They did a walk through on both. The difference in quality is like night and day. Saved a ton of money too. The smaller companies are being purchased by larger companies like Thor. It's all about profit. Even Airstream took a nose dive in quality. About the only pull behind that remained strong in quality through the pandemic was Oliver. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

My daughter and son in law were going to purchase a 2021 pull behind. I intervened and turned them toward a 2018. They did a walk through on both. The difference in quality is like night and day. Saved a ton of money too. The smaller companies are being purchased by larger companies like Thor. It's all about profit. Even Airstream took a nose dive in quality. About the only pull behind that remained strong in quality through the pandemic was Oliver. 

Thor even bought Tiffin. And Tiffin was considered top shelf

1 minute ago, toslow said:

Any issues with the transit van yet?

Leaky rear axle seal at the wheel. Not the easiest fix. Took a couple of hours. Ford uses torque to yield bolts on the rear housing. Otherwise it's been perfect. Ford has the Transits pretty well dialed in. 

16 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Yep. And even Tiffin is having quality issues. 

I've got a 2012 tiffin that only thing it ever needs are the regular maintenance. Plus i haul my jeep around as well 

Was looking at trading the whole set up for a class B but after spending some time sitting in one and thinking about being cramped, The wife said we keep what we got. Plus the cost of new is crazy out of this world

38 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Grand Design did a decent job of keeping their build crew in place during C-19.  I have a 2022 Travel Trailer from them that's been cross country twice and about the only issue I've had with it is a drawer slide that needed to be screwed down after working its way loose and a couple small trim pieces that needed a dab of glue.  We looked at a LOT of campers before buying ours.  There was a ton of crap for sure.

Edited by Matt

1 minute ago, mnstang said:

I work on sprinters and have seen it all and then some.

Most merc dealers won't touch a sprinter with a camper on it. Something about the interface between the body and the chassis, 

2 minutes ago, toslow said:

Most merc dealers won't touch a sprinter with a camper on it. Something about the interface between the body and the chassis, 

That would be false information.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mnstang said:

That's good to know, as one of the B+ models i was interested in came on a sprinter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Grand Design did a decent job of keeping their build crew in place during C-19.  I have a 2022 Travel Trailer from them that's been cross country twice and about the only issue I've had with it is a drawer slide that needed to be screwed down after working its way loose and a couple small trim pieces that needed a dab of glue.  We looked at a LOT of campers before buying ours.  There was a ton of crap for sure.

Winnebago has deeper pockets than most. They’re also a legacy company so they kept an eye on quality more than the Thor derivatives. Thor only cares about pumping out as many units as humanly possible. 

9 hours ago, mnstang said:

The big issue with Mercedes is finding a dealer that works on sprinters. I didn’t find out until I purchased a sprinter that not every Mercedes dealer services them. The B service was $2400. I had the b service done just before I dumped mine. I’ll never own another diesel sprinter. I bought the simplest, most dependable, and easy to work on van available in its place. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

20 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The big issue with Mercedes is finding a dealer that works on sprinters. I didn’t find out until I purchased a sprinter that not every Mercedes dealer services them. The B service was $2400. I had the b service done just before I dumped mine. I’ll never own another diesel sprinter. I bought the simplest, most dependable, and easy to work on van available in its place. 

"B service" here is $549 so you likely got alot more done than that.   But it's on the internet now so it must be true.

Congratulations on your bought vehicle.

57 minutes ago, mnstang said:

"B service" here is $549 so you likely got alot more done than that.   But it's on the internet now so it must be true.

Congratulations on your bought vehicle.

My mistake. I meant to type $240 and it was A service. It’s been almost three years since I had it done. 

• Like 1