Check your account email address ×

Trailer Floor Replacement

• Platinum Contributing Member

My Legend 7x23 is now 14 years old and the steel axle mounts ate their way into the aluminum frame. I had the trailer into a welding/fab shop. They cut out the rotten sections of1/8" tube frame and welded in 1/4 plate aluminum. Its all fixed up and looks good.

The floor was capped over top of the axle mounts and I told them not to worry about being gentle. I had a rubber sheet flooring that I pulled out before taking it to them. They cut an opening just enough to remove and replace the mount bolts.

I'm thinking of replacing the entire floor while its half way apart.

This trailer originally had that AdvanTech OSB water proof flooring. Other manu's use products called Dricore and Drymax, etc, all the same stuff. I don't see where I can buy that at a local lumber store. There are some specialty plywood places here and maybe I'll call around a bit to see what they have.

Anyone have a recommended product. What about using 3/4" Pressure Treated plywood?

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

My Legend 7x23 is now 14 years old and the steel axle mounts ate their way into the aluminum frame. I had the trailer into a welding/fab shop. They cut out the rotten sections of1/8" tube frame and welded in 1/4 plate aluminum. Its all fixed up and looks good.

The floor was capped over top of the axle mounts and I told them not to worry about being gentle. I had a rubber sheet flooring that I pulled out before taking it to them. They cut an opening just enough to remove and replace the mount bolts.

I'm thinking of replacing the entire floor while its half way apart.

This trailer originally had that AdvanTech OSB water proof flooring. Other manu's use products called Dricore and Drymax, etc, all the same stuff. I don't see where I can buy that at a local lumber store. There are some specialty plywood places here and maybe I'll call around a bit to see what they have.

Anyone have a recommended product. What about using 3/4" Pressure Treated plywood?

Try looking for marine grade wood or marine grade plywood near me or try a local boat shop/boat repair.

If your trailer is aluminum framed be sure to check that the treated wood will not react/corrode it as most treated lumber will. You make have to find a way to mitigate this with a spacer material or coating. 

https://www.canadiantrailercompany.net/post/true-or-false-can-you-have-pressure-treated-plywood-in-an-aluminum-trailer

• Like 1

Marine plywood is pricey... IF you an even find it local...

Epoxy or Smiths CPES are my friends in the shop... Polyester resin on a soft budget...

Tamarack wood was used in wet environments before pressure treat...

Thinking Tongue+ Groove Tamarack, Cedar, Epay, possibly Southern Yellow pine pine boards.... Pre treat (paint) with CPES,  Polyester Resin or preferably with Epoxy resin on all surfaces.  Recoat after rebuilding floor.

OEM material s???   I'm 3 hours from nearest builder.. No, idea what's available?