Check your account email address ×

Mike Rowe to Bernie Sanders: Stop Telling Everyone College Is The Only Thing

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Many young people have given up before they reach college. Yes colleges have become profit centers instead of higher learning centers.....just sell seats and move them along for the next class.

Listened to Sanders speak a while back in an interview and he stated what I have been for years ....a 60's or 70's High School diploma is equal to today's 4 year college degree.

Not really considering what manufacturing jobs are left you can get in the door with a HS diploma and make more money than most liberal arts majors will your first year. That's the case in my hometown as well. College shouldn't be considered needed, it is simply one path to a career you could take. Way to many are attending college and are driving down the value of an education while costs for said education are continuing up. :bc:

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Many young people have given up before they reach college. Yes colleges have become profit centers instead of higher learning centers.....just sell seats and move them along for the next class.

Listened to Sanders speak a while back in an interview and he stated what I have been for years ....a 60's or 70's High School diploma is equal to today's 4 year college degree.

I have started to work another avenue with my daughter who is now 16.  I am letting her know and helping her with ideas that don't necessarily go the college route.  My wife is horrified that I am doing it but she understands it too.  I am absolutely appalled at what the American education system is, and has been doing to us.  And we've not only been playing along but actually allowing them to get to where they are now.  Holy shit.

Just reading this morning a local new Essex tech school has 1000 applicants for 340 freshmen openings. All the other tech schools in the area have the same demand. All have a application, testing and multiple interview process. If you have had one misconduct in lower grades like fighting etc you will not get in. So yeah its great how far tech high schools have become v/s the local high school dumping ground.

On 5/24/2016 at 8:52 AM, Mainecat said:

Not buying that for a minute...some degrees maybe.