Check your account email address ×

Moe Berg...Professional baseball player....OSS assassin.

• Platinum Contributing Member

As usual after watching Oppenheimer I dive into the documentaries.   One of the most interesting stories of the whole race for the atomic bomb was professional baseball player Moe Berg and how he was sent to Switzerland to listen to a presentation by Werner Heisenberg the leading German scientist on their "Manhattan Project."  If Berg felt the German's were close to a bomb his orders were to kill him.

Also interesting how a lab accident and some mathematical mis-calculations may have caused Germany to fail to beat us to the bomb.   Germany was also not willing to commit the resources needed to make a bomb.   

BTW Oppenheimer is well worth the watch.   Some usual Hollywood complaints but overall damn good movie. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Highmark said:

As usual after watching Oppenheimer I dive into the documentaries.   One of the most interesting stories of the whole race for the atomic bomb was professional baseball player Moe Berg and how he was sent to Switzerland to listen to a presentation by Werner Heisenberg the leading German scientist on their "Manhattan Project."  If Berg felt the German's were close to a bomb his orders were to kill him.

Also interesting how a lab accident and some mathematical mis-calculations may have caused Germany to fail to beat us to the bomb.   Germany was also not willing to commit the resources needed to make a bomb.   

BTW Oppenheimer is well worth the watch.   Some usual Hollywood complaints but overall damn good movie. 

:thumbsup:

Interesting, which docs did you watch and I plan to give Opp a look after vacation and the holidays.  

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

:thumbsup:

Interesting, which docs did you watch and I plan to give Opp a look after vacation and the holidays.  

There are tons on Youtube.   

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

mind being specific on the bb playa?

None were specifically on him but many mentioned his story of the trip to Switzerland.   I'm sure there are some just on him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

None were specifically on him but many mentioned his story of the trip to Switzerland.   I'm sure there are some just on him.

this story... they were getting close 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/operation-gunnerside-the-norwegian-attack-on-heavy-water-that-deprived-the-nazis-of-the-atomic-bomb/

There is valid questions whether or not Hitler would have been willing to use the bomb on the European continent.   For all the atrocities Germany committed during the war it must have been Hitler and his officers that chose not to use chemical weapons because they themselves went thru its destruction during WWI. 

19 minutes ago, Highmark said:

There is valid questions whether or not Hitler would have been willing to use the bomb on the European continent.   For all the atrocities Germany committed during the war it must have been Hitler and his officers that chose not to use chemical weapons because they themselves went thru its destruction during WWI. 

If at all, I feel he would have used it on Britain and more likely the Soviet Union. 

Don't recall all the details of this but watched it when it came out.

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

If at all, I feel he would have used it on Britain and more likely the Soviet Union. 

Don't recall all the details of this but watched it when it came out.

Possibly the Soviet Union but I'm doubtful on Great Britain.   You have to wonder the outcome if Hitler would have just focused on one front instead of 2.  I really wonder if the allies would have joined Russia's side if Hitler attacked east first and kept his focus there.   

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Possibly the Soviet Union but I'm doubtful on Great Britain.   You have to wonder the outcome if Hitler would have just focused on one front instead of 2.  I really wonder if the allies would have joined Russia's side if Hitler attacked east first and kept his focus there.   

maybe?  there was no particular love for Stalin from Hitler and the Germans but they agreed not to fight each other with the signing of the Molotov Ribbentop pact in 39, which Hitler obviously broke.

he initially just went after small weaker countries with little to no defense capabilities because it was easy.  France and GBR was revenge for WW1.  attacking the Soviet Union was by far his biggest military mistake.  

27 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

maybe?  there was no particular love for Stalin from Hitler and the Germans but they agreed not to fight each other with the signing of the Molotov Ribbentop pact in 39, which Hitler obviously broke.

he initially just went after small weaker countries with little to no defense capabilities because it was easy.  France and GBR was revenge for WW1.  attacking the Soviet Union was by far his biggest military mistake.  

Simply a guess based off the fact that he never used chemical weapons.   No doubt with chemical weapons it was likely everyone had them where if you had an atomic bomb you wouldn't know if your enemy had one to retaliate with.   I wonder how much German scientists would have informed Hitler of its effects even after the initial devistation.