Check your account email address ×

Didn't know this

XCR1250

Blood pressure monitor Photo by Mockup Graphics on Unsplash

Doctors have been measuring blood pressure all wrong, study explains

SEPTEMBER 8, 20230 COMMENTS

BOSTON — If you’re someone with high blood pressure, you’re going to want to sit up for this news. Researchers working with the American Heart Association have released the results of a nearly 30-year study on high blood pressure, finding that doctors may miss certain health complications if they don’t have their patients lying down.

Typically, patients are only measured while sitting upright. Now, it should become common practice to do two readings, doctors argue.

“If blood pressure is only measured while people are seated upright, cardiovascular disease risk may be missed if not measured also while they are lying supine on their backs,” says lead study author Duc M. Giao, a researcher and a 4th-year MD student at Harvard Medical School, in a media release.

People who also had their blood pressure taken while lying down revealed elevated risks for heart attack, stroke, heart failure, and premature death. The type of medications people use to manage blood pressure did not impact cardiovascular risks, according to the findings.

The autonomic nervous system regulates blood pressure. However, the pull of gravity may prompt blood to pool while seated or in an upright position. Meanwhile, the body is sometimes unable to regulate blood pressure while lying down, being seated, and standing.

“Our findings suggest people with known risk factors for heart disease and stroke may benefit from having their blood pressure checked while lying flat on their backs,” Giao adds.

The first phase of the study began in 1987 and continued until 1989. A total of 15,972 adults living in the U.S. had their blood pressure taken while lying down or sitting up. One of the key features of the study was the diversity of the participants. Over half (56%) were women, and 25 percent of the participants were Black. Blood pressure data was gathered in both rural and urban clinics. Their health was then followed for an average of 25 to 28 years, with the latest health data collected between 2011 and 2013.

Nurse measuring older African American man's blood pressure The risk of developing hypertension was found to be higher among COVID-19 patients who were over 40, male, Black, or had pre-existing conditions.
(© M. Business – stock.adobe.com)

Sixteen percent did not have high blood pressure — a reading greater than 130/80 mm Hg — while seated. However, these same people did show high blood pressure when researchers measured their BP while lying flat on their backs.

Three in four people (74%) who did have high blood pressure while both seated and lying down showed a 1.6 times higher risk for future heart failure, a 1.86 times higher risk for stroke, a 1.43 times higher risk for premature death, and a 2.18 times higher risk for coronary heart disease. Those individuals who had high blood pressure only when lying down also showed similar risks.

“Our findings suggest people with known risk factors for heart disease and stroke may benefit from having their blood pressure checked while lying flat on their backs,” Giao explains. “Efforts to manage blood pressure during daily life may help lower blood pressure while sleeping. Future research should compare supine blood pressure measurements in the clinic with overnight measurements.”

One limitation of the study is that it focused only on middle-aged adults. The average age for participants when having their blood pressure taken was 54. It is possible the findings may look different for older populations.

The team presented their findings at the American Heart Association’s Hypertension Scientific Sessions 2023.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I guess they will have to toss those wall wall signs at the doctors office showing how you have to be sitting upright for proper BP readings. 

I've taken my BP in a somewhat lounging position with my feet up. My BP is always higher at the hospital or the Dr's office. Stupid white coat syndrome. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I've taken my BP in a somewhat lounging position with my feet up. My BP is always higher at the hospital or the Dr's office. Stupid white coat syndrome. 

Yup....same. But Dr. Said to trust my readings at home instead. I have 3 different monitors, 1 arm and 2 wrist units and I check fairly regularly. Next time I'm going to bring one with me and compare it to the Dr.'s..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yup....same. But Dr. Said to trust my readings at home instead. I have 3 different monitors, 1 arm and 2 wrist units and I check fairly regularly. Next time I'm going to bring one with me and compare it to the Dr.'s..

I also have 3 monitors plus my Watch.

32 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I also have 3 monitors plus my Watch.

Might be something to that part about COVID and hypertension. My friend never had high BP til he got COVID.....now he is on BP meds, hopefully only temporary but it's been about a year.

1 hour ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Might be something to that part about COVID and hypertension. My friend never had high BP til he got COVID.....now he is on BP meds, hopefully only temporary but it's been about a year.

Long story but I was on BP meds too, during Covid Doc kept the prescription going for some months but then wanted me to come in to see him, he wouldn't let me in without a Mask but I can't wear them so he stopped calling in the meds..so what I did was started taking Beet Root Juice (now the powder) and a Tbs of extra virgin olive oil in the morning and my pressure went down and has stayed down for almost 2 years, just checked now and it's 105/65.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, Steve753 said:

I always make sure to arrive at least 45 minutes early so my road rage can subside first. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Stephen Hawking said:

I always make sure to arrive at least 45 minutes early so my road rage can subside first. 

I don't have BP issues, but being over 50 it's just another thing to keeps tabs on I guess.

20 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Long story but I was on BP meds too, during Covid Doc kept the prescription going for some months but then wanted me to come in to see him, he wouldn't let me in without a Mask but I can't wear them so he stopped calling in the meds..so what I did was started taking Beet Root Juice (now the powder) and a Tbs of extra virgin olive oil in the morning and my pressure went down and has stayed down for almost 2 years, just checked now and it's 105/65.

Yeah I'm golden and follow a similar regimen as you. Beet root powder capsules and 1 tablespoon of  the olive oil that you recommended:bc:

I average about 115/ 75...no meds.    I imagine it would be a bit lower if I gave up alcohol ...:lol:but that ain't happening

Edited by ViperGTS/Z1
  • Haha 1