Check your account email address ×

First time for everything.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Anyone ever had a check valve go bad on a sump pump? I've dealt with sump pumps on and off for years never had a check valve go bad. Thankfully we were here at the vacation house when it happened. No damage really just a wet floor. I'm guessing it went bad overnight.

2 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Anyone ever had a check valve go bad on a sump pump? I've dealt with sump pumps on and off for years never had a check valve go bad. Thankfully we were here at the vacation house when it happened. No damage really just a wet floor. I'm guessing it went bad overnight.

Assuming this is just an inline brass valve.  I have had it happen a few times with sprinkler systems.  Sometimes they just get stuck as the springs get rusty and dirty. Sometimes you can bang on them and they will work, other times the seals just go bad.  They can freeze and break as well.

Edited by racer254
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Is it a Watts valve?

6 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Assuming this is just an inline brass valve.  I have had it happen a few times with sprinkler systems.  Sometimes they just get stuck as the springs get rusty and dirty. Sometimes you can bang on them and they will work, other times the seals just go bad.  They can freeze and break as well.

It's plastic. Moves fine but won't open on discharge. 

I bought a house in 2017 that the previous owner had spent $35k on the basement. Reinforced the walls with steel beams and put in new drain tile. He topped it off by installing a cheap, no name sump pump and check valve from China. That resulted in a huge fucking mess. 

Ok update on the check valve. Doesn't seem to be any difference between the check valve on my other sump. Took valve off pump and water discharges from pump. Said fuck it running sump with out check valve as it only discharges into other sump hole. Will monitor while I'm here for the rest of the week.

2 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Ok update on the check valve. Doesn't seem to be any difference between the check valve on my other sump. Took valve off pump and water discharges from pump. Said fuck it running sump with out check valve as it only discharges into other sump hole. Will monitor while I'm here for the rest of the week.

Isn't the check there to keep it from losing its prime 

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Isn't the check there to keep it from losing its prime 

No. It's just to keep the water from siphoning back into the hole.