Check your account email address ×

Renewables are kicking ass!!!

• Gold Member

Renewables exceed forecasts and provided almost 23% of all electricity used in the US through the first 10 months of 2022.  This is just Utility scale and doesn’t include individual/small scale generators.

Renewable energy provided almost 23% of US electrical generation during the first 10 months of 2022, according to Energy Information Administration (EIA) data.

https://electrek.co/2023/01/02/renewables-us-electricity-oct-2022/

5 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Renewables exceed forecasts and provided almost 23% of all electricity used in the US through the first 10 months of 2022.  This is just Utility scale and doesn’t include individual/small scale generators.

Renewable energy provided almost 23% of US electrical generation during the first 10 months of 2022, according to Energy Information Administration (EIA) data.

Do you use a electric bbq ? 

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, BOHICA said:

They can make that claim all they want....I'm not buying it.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

And some don’t buy that the world is a sphere in its shape.

Well its not a sphere its technically a irregularly shaped ellipsoid.  :lol:  

8 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

And some don’t buy that the world is a sphere in its shape.

The problem with electricity is distribution and storage....the transmission losses are never accounted for which is about 12-15% and if you don't transmit it it needs to be stored there currently is no real efficient solution.  The ROI on a decent battery set up exceeds what the market will support.  

When solid state batteries are a thing.....it will make more sense. 

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

The problem with electricity is distribution and storage....the transmission losses are never accounted for which is about 12-15% and if you don't transmit it it needs to be stored there currently is no real efficient solution.  The ROI on a decent battery set up exceeds what the market will support.  

When solid state batteries are a thing.....it will make more sense. 

Not much transmission loss from my roof to my electrical panel.  Always been an advocate for microgrids vs a central sourced generation many miles from the end user.

perfect example of microgrid is all the solar/battery microgrids that survived that last huge hurricane without so much as a flicker in their power.

Just now, BOHICA said:

Not much transmission loss from my roof to my electrical panel.  Always been an advocate for microgrids vs a central sourced generation many miles from the end user.

perfect example of microgrid is all the solar/battery microgrids that survived that last huge hurricane without so much as a flicker in their power.

What would the ROI be if the govt didn't force the utility to buy your excess power? 

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

What would the ROI be if the govt didn't force the utility to buy your excess power? 

Meh.  I’d sell my excess to the neighbor at a penny a kwh less than what the utility charges him…

Edited by BOHICA

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

I guess that would work for city dwellers 

But my state has rules towards net metering so don’t have to worry about it.  They know they need that generation for system reliability