Check your account email address ×

Code Reader/Scanners

• Platinum Contributing Member

Step daughter has moved out west and left her car here with me to sell. A 2002 Honda Accord. Its in ok shape for basic transportation. Only 180,000 kms on it (115,000 miles). I drove it tonight. Brake rotors are warped. She just had them replaced in the spring. Probably used cheap crap.

Its got lights on in the dash ( check engine, service required and SRS). Thought if I could do a few small repairs and clear the codes I could get her a few money $'s and make it an easier sell.

I don't have a code reader but it would be handy to have. From the reading I've done, only certain units will do that.

Anyone have any recommendation on what I should look for, brands, etc?

From what I can see on Amazon.ca, I probably need to spend around the $250 mark.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Step daughter has moved out west and left her car here with me to sell. A 2002 Honda Accord. Its in ok shape for basic transportation. Only 180,000 kms on it (115,000 miles). I drove it tonight. Brake rotors are warped. She just had them replaced in the spring. Probably used cheap crap.

Its got lights on in the dash ( check engine, service required and SRS). Thought if I could do a few small repairs and clear the codes I could get her a few money $'s and make it an easier sell.

I don't have a code reader but it would be handy to have. From the reading I've done, only certain units will do that.

Anyone have any recommendation on what I should look for, brands, etc?

From what I can see on Amazon.ca, I probably need to spend around the $250 mark.

Buy one at crappy tire (150) for the codes and just look them up on the net...

Or go to a parts source and they will plug in a code reader for you and tell you the codes.

Edited by Dave

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Buy one at crappy tire (150) for the codes and just look them up on the net...

I looked there first.

They seem to only sell Innova code readers and the highest model they have is the 3130. On their website it says you need the 3150 or better to read SRS codes.

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I looked there first.

They seem to only sell Innova code readers and the highest model they have is the 3130. On their website it says you need the 3150 or better to read SRS codes.

Ya srs is the airbag shit.....that can get expensive.....had airbag issues on my jetta....luckily it was just a broken wire lol

bought an actron scanner from autozone 10 years ago and will scan engine, trans and abs was about $300 at the time but has saved me some serious coin over the years, will reset codes and able to check drive cycle monitors until able to push through inspections

6 minutes ago, Dave said:

Ya srs is the airbag shit.....that can get expensive.....had airbag issues on my jetta....luckily it was just a broken wire lol

I did some checking online and these Hondas are known for SRS codes. It can be anything from a plug connection to a MES control unit.

This car was in an accident 6-7 years ago and was repaired so plenty of possible causes.