Check your account email address ×

Textbooks vary a lot from state to state

I always hear people griping on here about liberal indoctrination in schools.  This piece shows contrasting textbooks in California and Texas and it really appears to me that the way textbooks are curated for Texans with certain things being selectively added, omitted, or differently explained shows an equal amount effort to advance a narrative more in line with right wing ideology.  Furthermore, I don't think any of this is new.  And I especially don't think our education system is overly skewed toward a liberal bias.  One look at how red the election map from the 2016 election is ought to dispel that pervasive talking point but somehow it rages on.  

Thoughts?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/12/us/texas-vs-california-history-textbooks.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Edited by XC.Morrison

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, XC.Morrison said:

I always hear people griping on here about liberal indoctrination in schools.  This piece shows contrasting textbooks in California and Texas and it really appears to me that the way textbooks are curated for Texans with certain things being selectively added, omitted, or differently explained shows an equal amount effort to advance a narrative more in line with right wing ideology.  Furthermore, I don't think any of this is new.  And I especially don't think our education system is overly skewed toward a liberal bias.  One look at how red the election map from the 2016 election is ought to dispel that pervasive talking point but somehow it rages on.  

Thoughts?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/12/us/texas-vs-california-history-textbooks.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

And neither is our media system.  :lol: 

Come on dude educators identify as democrat at like an 90%+ rate.   And please don't tell me this doesn't leak into how they teach.  

Between myself, my wife and my two kids not one of us has had what we would call an outwardly conservative or even libertarian teacher/professor. 

Just because a specific area is red on election night means absolutely zero when it comes to political views of certain jobs.  

https://www.pacificresearch.org/why-are-teachers-mostly-liberal/

Among English teachers, there are 97 Democrats for every three Republicans, with the proportion being even more one-sided among health teachers, with 99 Democrats for every one Republican.

While there are slightly more Republicans among math and science teachers, among high school teachers overall, there are 87 Democrats for every 13 Republicans.

Edited by Highmark

6 minutes ago, bussman said:

“And I especially don't think our education system is overly skewed toward a liberal bias“

lmfao :lol: 

I had a little diet pepsi come thru my nose when I read that.  :lol:  

Just now, snoughnut said:

......and then believes the 2016 election dispels it. :lmao:

Like every single person in those "red states" voted for republicans.  :lol:  

Common Liberal/Democrap professions.   Teachers/Educators, Lawyers, Public workers, especially federal.

http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

And neither is our media system.  :lol: 

Come on dude educators identify as democrat at like an 90%+ rate.   And please don't tell me this doesn't leak into how they teach.  

Between myself, my wife and my two kids not one of us has had what we would call an outwardly conservative or even libertarian teacher/professor. 

https://www.pacificresearch.org/why-are-teachers-mostly-liberal/

Among English teachers, there are 97 Democrats for every three Republicans, with the proportion being even more one-sided among health teachers, with 99 Democrats for every one Republican.

While there are slightly more Republicans among math and science teachers, among high school teachers overall, there are 87 Democrats for every 13 Republicans.

The article is about the textbooks themselves, not really the teachers.  You've got to keep in mind the influence of state departments of education and local school boards comprised of locally elected officials have over the curriculum too, that's why the textbooks differ so much.  Why aren't far left candidates cleaning up in elections all over the country if liberal educators are "indoctrinating" them so?  I remember we held a mock '88 election among all of the fifth grade classes at my school and George H.W. Bush won by a landslide and I was among the majority.  

12 minutes ago, bussman said:

“And I especially don't think our education system is overly skewed toward a liberal bias“

lmfao :lol: 

:lol:New York Times told him this.

*Zam posts thread showing this to be a "questionable" statement.

:lmao:

Just now, XC.Morrison said:

The article is about the textbooks themselves, not really the teachers.  You've got to keep in mind the influence of state departments of education and local school boards comprised of locally elected officials have over the curriculum too, that's why the textbooks differ so much.  Why aren't far left candidates cleaning up in elections all over the country if liberal educators are "indoctrinating" them so?  I remember we held a mock '88 election among all of the fifth grade classes at my school and George H.W. Bush won by a landslide and I was among the majority.  

1. Textbooks are only a small part of education.

2.  Because people thankfully take into account their own life experiences when making political choices.   This takes some time as youth is far more left leaning group.  Also good parents sill have influence on their kids.

3. Its gotten much worse over time and come on.....who voted for Dukakis?  :lol:  To a 5th grader his funny name probably made more of an impact than knowing anything politically.  

19 minutes ago, Highmark said:

1. Textbooks are only a small part of education.

2.  Because people thankfully take into account their own life experiences when making political choices.   This takes some time as youth is far more left leaning group.  Also good parents sill have influence on their kids.

3. Its gotten much worse over time and come on.....who voted for Dukakis?  :lol:  To a 5th grader his funny name probably made more of an impact than knowing anything politically.  

I definitely remember thinking Dukakis sounded funny so you’re right there.  Personally though I find it very demeaning that people would think teachers incapable of being objective professionals when it comes to their profession. I think it boils down partly to sexism since a majority of teachers are women and I also attribute it to being one facet of conservatives’ broader campaign of “working the refs”.  I’m constantly hearing cries that the FBI has a liberal bias, the CIA has a liberal bias, the FISA’s have a liberal bias, the MSM has a liberal bias, the fact checking websites have a liberal bias, etc.  And it’s been extremely effective.  In order avoid being denigrated by the GOP’s persistent criticism, I see all of these entities over-correct and be overly accommodating to the right.  And it’s never enough nor will it ever be, by design. 

9 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

I definitely remember thinking Dukakis sounded funny so you’re right there.  Personally though I find it very demeaning that people would think teachers incapable of being objective professionals when it comes to their profession. I think it boils down partly to sexism since a majority of teachers are women and I also attribute it to being one facet of conservatives’ broader campaign of “working the refs”.  I’m constantly hearing cries that the FBI has a liberal bias, the CIA has a liberal bias, the FISA’s have a liberal bias, the MSM has a liberal bias, the fact checking websites have a liberal bias, etc.  And it’s been extremely effective.  In order avoid being denigrated by the GOP’s persistent criticism, I see all of these entities over-correct and be overly accommodating to the right.  And it’s never enough nor will it ever be, by design. 

I guess the same could be said of what liberals say as well?   Conservatives don't care about the poor, are sexist, are racist are homophobic......shall I go on?

With educators and especially federal workers I don't think its even debatable the massive political leanings.   Human nature is human nature.....people will let their beliefs political or whatever bleed off into everyday life.    Its much more acceptable for teachers to do that today than 30 years ago.   

You might actually be the only one on here who doesn't see a liberal bias in education.  

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I guess the same could be said of what liberals say as well?   Conservatives don't care about the poor, are sexist, are racist are homophobic......shall I go on?

If you’re trying to say that liberals engage in the maligning of established governmental and journalistic entities on anywhere near the same scale then I must respectfully reject the validity of your comparison.  

12 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

If you’re trying to say that liberals engage in the maligning of established governmental and journalistic entities on anywhere near the same scale then I must respectfully reject the validity of your comparison.  

:lmao: