Check your account email address ×

Careful Drone Flyers

NORAD dispatched two CF-18 fighter jets to the skies over Ottawa after a drone was spotted flying near the airport of the nation's capital last month.

The CF-18s were scrambled from Canadian Forces Base Bagotville in Quebec at about 5:45 p.m. ET on May 25, after commercial airline operators raised concerns about a "suspicious" unmanned aerial vehicle seen near the Ottawa airport, according to a Department of National Defence spokesperson.

The drone was spotted by the pilots of WestJet Flight 366, from Toronto to Ottawa, as well as Air Canada Flight 458, also from Toronto to Ottawa.

The WestJet pilots flew past the drone as the Boeing 737 plane was descending into the Ottawa airport at about 4:45 p.m. ET.

The pilot's call to the airport's air traffic controllers was recorded by the website liveATC.net, which monitors air traffic control communications across the globe.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/drone-ottawa-airport-cf18s-fighters-scrambled-1.3621633

Seems like a pretty overkill reaction.  They could have taken pictures of the drone or sent up their own to take a video of it to scope out whether it was a threat or not.  Probably cost  $100,000 for 2 jets, maybe more.

2 hours ago, Delgaty said:

Seems like a pretty overkill reaction.  They could have taken pictures of the drone or sent up their own to take a video of it to scope out whether it was a threat or not.  Probably cost  $100,000 for 2 jets, maybe more.

or they could have just shot it down with a titan.

6 hours ago, Delgaty said:

Lots of other options.  Their first reaction doesn't have to be "scramble the Jets!"

They have to see if they still fly once in a while !!!!

• Like 1

I'm poking fun at our inept leaders who can't decide on the new planes.

last I readt even if they chose that day it would still be almost another 10 years before the first plane was delivered.

look at the colossal fuck up with the sea king replacements ??

look at the same with the new navy ships.

Pretty soon our boys are going to be flyin wallmart drones, RC boats (maybe even canoes).

in short our country is fucked in sooooooo many ways. 

44 minutes ago, soupkid said:

last I readt even if they chose that day it would still be almost another 10 years before the first plane was delivered.

Pretty soon our boys are going to be flyin wallmart drones, RC boats (maybe even canoes).

The forum looks at Momo.

57 minutes ago, soupkid said:

l-1285.jpg

Edited by Capt.Storm