Check your account email address ×

How did this happen

Snake

7 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

$500k is either a starter home or a fixer upper in the towns I work in. Average new construction in westford or Acton Mass is $900k+ . add in another 18k a yr for prop taxes .

That's after ya figure the dude is only coming thru the door with 155 -160 after income taxes. Yes $200 k

That’s insane. Fuck that. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Highmark said:

And I hardly call that a middle class neighborhood.  

Why , because it would be considered wealthy elsewhere? Most of these people are middle management. They don't have second homes , They are not loaded. They just choose to live in a town with excellent schools and pay for it with something they can later sell. The alrenative is paying tuition to private school that you cannot later sell.

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Take a peak just outside of boston.  a 1300 sq ft cape built in 1962 that needs damn near everything is $685k

Damn, no wonder the market crashed.  

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

That’s insane. Fuck that. 

System we did 2 weeks ago was in Weston mass.

This is not middle class.

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/10-sudbury-road--2

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Why , because it would be considered wealthy elsewhere? Most of these people are middle management. They don't have second homes , They are not loaded. They just choose to live in a town with excellent schools and pay for it with something they can later sell. The alrenative is paying tuition to private school that you cannot later sell.

The neighborhood they choose to liven in doesn't make them middle class.   I can own simple $200K home while earning Warren Buffett money.   In fact his home value isn't high at all.  Income determines class not where or what you live in. 

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

The neighborhood they choose to liven in doesn't make them middle class.   I can own simple $200K home while earning Warren Buffett money.   In fact his home value isn't high at all.  Income determines class not where or what you live in. 

Correct. But someone making $200k isn't wealthy. They are upper middle class. People who earn a grand or more before I eat lunch are wealthy

There’s a point where money creates no additional joy or life satisfaction. There’s also a point where the lack of money creates misery. Guys that chase the dollar are typically egotistical asswipes. Everything g out if their mouths is what they own or how much they paid fir something. Lazy guys who complain about being broke are nauseating. Then there’s those who make a good living but waste it on shit. 

4 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

You're struggling everywhere with that salary.  That's $17/hr.  No way you're doing any more than subsist on a $17/hr job. 

Exactly. This is one of the 3 key issues why GM is on strike right now. 

9 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

40 years of stagnant wages?

#2 issue 

7 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Take a peak just outside of boston.  a 1300 sq ft cape built in 1962 that needs damn near everything is $685k

Another reason why I would never live anywhere near there 

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Damn, no wonder the market crashed.  

Commiefornia is worse . Would never live there either

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

Correct. But someone making $200k isn't wealthy. They are upper middle class. People who earn a grand or more before I eat lunch are wealthy

Well upper middle class isn't middle class. 

1 minute ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Exactly. This is one of the 3 key issues why GM is on strike right now. 

#2 issue 

Another reason why I would never live anywhere near there 

Commiefornia is worse . Would never live there either

Back in the mid 80's I was framing in Cali. Back then these houses were selling for $ 2mill+. You couldn't even drive a pickup between them they were so close. Cant imagine what they sell for now.

6 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

That's my style right there. The price and the acerage.

Not me. Selling the country home and all that acreage was so freeing. At my age I have no desire to spend my retirement mowing, blowing leaves, and pulling weeds. 10 minutes if yard work per week and I’m outta there. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Not me. Selling the country home and all that acreage was so freeing. At my age I have no desire to spend my retirement mowing, blowing leaves, and pulling weeds. 10 minutes if yard work per week and I’m outta there. 

I hate people. Acerage brings privacy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

I don’t care much fir people either, but acreage was a ball and chain. I’ve got great neighbors. 

Ive got great neighbors too. But I prefer not to see them unless I invite them over.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

System we did 2 weeks ago was in Weston mass.

This is not middle class.

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/10-sudbury-road--2

Damn, real estate by region is amazing.   That wouldn't dream of drawing over a million anywhere around me.  

Just now, Highmark said:

Damn, real estate by region is amazing.   That wouldn't dream of drawing over a million anywhere around me.  

They paid $685k  for the home they tore down to build that.

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Back in the mid 80's I was framing in Cali. Back then these houses were selling for $ 2mill+. You couldn't even drive a pickup between them they were so close. Cant imagine what they sell for now.

You couldn't pay me enough $ to live in that shit hole state. Saw enough when I was out there for training. Fuck that place 

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I hate people. Acerage brings privacy.

I would have loved to have moved further out than we did, and on more land, but I couldn't get the wife on board. Would have love to have been on 10+ wooded, but the wife didn't want the extra drive.  Happy where I'm at tho, on my 2.5a.  Far enough away from the city, but close enough to necessities that it's not an issue. 

Just now, steve from amherst said:

So they paid over $700K for a lot (with tear down costs).  :lol:  I know in real estate location is everything but damn.  

Just now, SVT MXZ XRS said:

You couldn't pay me enough $ to live in that shit hole state. Saw enough when I was out there for training. Fuck that place 

I would have loved to have moved further out than we did, and on more land, but I couldn't get the wife on board. Would have love to have been on 10+ wooded, but the wife didn't want the extra drive.  Happy where I'm at tho, on my 2.5a.  Far enough away from the city, but close enough to necessities that it's not an issue. 

I lucked out on mine. 1/2 hr from my work area ( for most of my customers, I do have to drive every couple weeks) 6.3 acres . Feels like your in the middle of no where but everything I need is with 10 minutes. But probably will not be able or want to pay the taxes when I retire.

Just now, Highmark said:

So they paid over $700K for a lot (with tear down costs).  :lol:  I know in real estate location is everything but damn.  

Keep in mind a lot of this area was built out 10-40 yrs ago. Ya want a new home , be prepared to knock one down.

3 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

There's places around here that are like that. My buddy is building multi million dollar houses for people who bought houses for $750k+, and knocked them down for the lots.