Check your account email address ×

Trail 109 in the UP has a major wash out.

I took these pics a few weeks ago. Was told it won’t be fixed this year. The DNR gated it. The only way around it, would require a mountain sled. They haven’t come up with a good reroute yet. This would be just south of silver mountain and just north of the Sturgeon Falls. 

457C3F9A-B836-4BDD-9678-A52133CEE33D.jpeg

C0A6E465-F5E4-4558-8473-DA42BA19CA56.jpeg

1B75211A-41EB-4FBD-8A0F-BD6B2A6416EE.jpeg

2EA5CE16-C9C3-4E8B-8C63-E9B109F7A9A6.jpeg

15708E32-E5EC-4183-B27C-C23C9F8709A1.jpeg

13 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Are the clubs not involved in trail repair / rebuild/ reroutes there?

Not like that.  That's a significant project right there. Most clubs don't have the equipment to do that kind of repair. 

8 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Are the clubs not involved in trail repair / rebuild/ reroutes there?

Wild life protected area on the left side of the pic. Just south of that wash out is a bridge that goes over a protected river. The water that washed it out was a spring that developed 20’ below the road. 60k just in engineering,to fix the wash out.  It’s a well traveled forest road in the summer. The clubs don’t have that much say in it. The other problem is all of the road construction contractors and engineering firms are still swamped with last years Father’s Day flood, that washed out 100’s of roads,plus a few bridges. I was told they couldn’t get contractors to even bid it? It’s in the middle of The Ottawa National Forest.

8 hours ago, Woodtick said:

Wild life protected area on the left side of the pic. Just south of that wash out is a bridge that goes over a protected river. The water that washed it out was a spring that developed 20’ below the road. 60k just in engineering,to fix the wash out.  It’s a well traveled forest road in the summer. The clubs don’t have that much say in it. The other problem is all of the road construction contractors and engineering firms are still swamped with last years Father’s Day flood, that washed out 100’s of roads,plus a few bridges. I was told they couldn’t get contractors to even bid it? It’s in the middle of The Ottawa National Forest.

Gimme an 80hp track steer and a mini ex and I could fix that in a day!!!1

28 minutes ago, snopro31 said:

Almost looks like something with a bucket was already there

They trenched the section that didn’t go down the mountain,to try and save that part. It’s a rock shelf type road. It’s about a 40’ drop off on that left side. To the left of this pic is a straight down drop off. I think the trail number in this section is actually 15? Or 15/ 109?

FBD2B434-E0D6-442A-8A50-7B4A195A9EDB.jpeg

Edited by Woodtick