Check your account email address ×

Keeping sediment off internal household drain pipes?

On 6/15/2019 at 5:14 PM, Big Crappie said:

I will crank up the water heater every couple of years then run the taps until the hot water is gone. I pulled the trap under the kitchen sink after doing this last year and there was no sign of any greasy sediment.

Hot water and a double douche of drano usually works for me.  All pvc at our place.

On 6/15/2019 at 4:09 PM, Momorider said:

It's soap and oil scum it builds up I think if you use some of the liquid foam or gel stuff it cuts but doubt it does it all the way to the sewer main but you can also just wait till it clogs and snake it out.  :dunno: think we have plumbers on here they probably know but won't say cuz they want a call so they can charge you $200/hr

They will say keep using acids so you will eventually have to call ME to replace half the plumbing 😉

• Like 1

I boiled the kettle in every bathroom in the house then ran it down the drains. I then ran the dishwasher on the hot cycle with about a 2 liters of vinegar added. Felt the main drain pipe in the basement when the dishwasher rinsed and it got warm but never clogged, thankfully.

No idea if I did anything good, but I know I didn't hurt anything.