Check your account email address ×

7 Social Security Terms You Should Know to Boost Benefits

26 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Just an FYI, I’ve not been much to study SS benefits. Just a few days ago a friend of mine had asked if I’d applied for survivor benefits on my ex-wife. I had no idea that I would be entitled to such. I found out that I am. She was 63 when she died so it’s a very sizable amount. There’s so much about social security that I never knew about. That benefit would’ve basically went unclaimed had I not been informed. I guess social security has been pretty much an after thought for me. I always focused on investments and hard assets. Lesson for us all. Learn about this shit. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Just an FYI, I’ve not been much to study SS benefits. Just a few days ago a friend of mine had asked if I’d applied for survivor benefits on my ex-wife. I had no idea that I would be entitled to such. I found out that I am. She was 63 when she died so it’s a very sizable amount. There’s so much about social security that I never knew about. That benefit would’ve basically went unclaimed had I not been informed. I guess social security has been pretty much an after thought for me. I always focused on investments and hard assets. Lesson for us all. Learn about this shit. 

We dont often agree, but great points.  Many people have no clue about survivor benefits.  The other big variable is when to take them, early, FRA, or age 70.  There is no one size fits all answer on that part. There is almost a 50% swing from taking them early to taking them late.

Edited by DriftBusta

51 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

We dont often agree, but great points.  Many people have no clue about survivor benefits.  The other big variable is when to take them, early, FRA, or age 70.  There is no one size fits all answer on that part. There is almost a 50% swing from taking them early to taking them late.

She was a 6 figure earner for many years. We parted ways in good financial shape. Given those facts I’ll be drawing from it immediately. Then when I’m ready to draw at 70 I’ll be able to keep the larger amount, hers or mine. So this is a unexpected chunk of cash in early retirement. It’s a big enough chunk for a nice Florida home get away for the family during winter. 

I fucking miss working though. I don’t know if I’m cut out for retirement. :lol: 

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

I fucking miss working though. I don’t know if I’m cut out for retirement. :lol: 

Fuck that. I don't work every yr from thankgiving till late march. Every yr I want to go back less and less. I would retire tomorrow if I was in a position to do so.

10 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

A few more years, a very good one, and on my terms.  :bc: 

Don’t wait too long. Many friends didn’t make it and that’s why I went as soon as possible.