Check your account email address ×

Verizon Network extender and Jetpack

Has anyone had experience with either the "Network extender" and/ "Jetpack" hotspot from Verizon?

My camp is remote, with no direct cable internet access. I get a poor signal as is currently for cell service. Does the extender significantly boost signal, how many bars? If it works well, unlimited data hotspot sounds like a sweet deal too. Obviously not wire cabled speed, but something other than my phone/tablet to log into would be a huge difference if I can connect my laptop!

Just now, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I would assume so. I have unlimited on my phone and tablet currently, each are monitored independently, (but after 20g?) It gets throttled down. Still not really noticeable, service sucks here anyways and there's zero chance of running hard-line.

Yah...I'm with verizon and my mobile hotspots get throttled after 15g. The hotspot was the same 18 month ago when I switched. I have been very happy with verizon 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yah...I'm with verizon and my mobile hotspots get throttled after 15g. The hotspot was the same 18 month ago when I switched. I have been very happy with verizon 

Do you have good service where you use it? I'm currently running on .5-1 bar of 4g now, so I could care less about the throttle down. I'm already in 5th gear doing 20mph with my foot to the floor (hopefully the extender helps that)?

extender is used to convert your internet connection to a cell spot,  the jetpack to provide service.  A jetpack with a wilson booster in the building might be an option if the signals not so great.  Back in the day of flip phones i had an antena i'd stick to the metal roof that plugged into my phone to get enough signal to barely text or call.  you will prob find the jetpack will get 1-2 bars more than your phone as it's got a slightly stronger receiver.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

extender is used to convert your internet connection to a cell spot,  the jetpack to provide service.  A jetpack with a wilson booster in the building might be an option if the signals not so great.  Back in the day of flip phones i had an antena i'd stick to the metal roof that plugged into my phone to get enough signal to barely text or call.  you will prob find the jetpack will get 1-2 bars more than your phone as it's got a slightly stronger receiver.  

I may have misspoke. Verizon is sending me a signal booster, not extender. Support said it's compatible with 4g (I have the Wilson 3g now). That would be be awesome if the jetpack got even more reception!

:saluting:

6 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't have to be portable. Not sure what that thing in your link does? Seems to be just a wireless router?

My issue is that I don't have a wired internet connection, I'm running off cell service.

4 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't have to be portable. Not sure what that thing in your link does? Seems to be just a wireless router?

My issue is that I don't have a wired internet connection, I'm running off cell service.

It has USB modems that take your sim card.  :bc:

Ours runs off Verizon network.

Neal

Just now, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

So, I take my sim card from my tablet, put it in the unit and it creates a hotspot with the same data plan as my tablet? With better reception?

Yes.  You can use the little paddle antennas or buy some cable and a high gain antenna.

Granted it isn't cheap, but the unit is very robust and has many features.

Neal

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Yes.  You can use the little paddle antennas or buy some cable and a high gain antenna.

Granted it isn't cheap, but the unit is very robust and has many features.

Neal

Cool. I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Hopefully the booster from Verizon will help, but after @Angry ginger comment about extender vs booster, and the fact that the person on the other end of the phone couldn't speak English very well, I'm wondering what will show up.... :lol:

I explained very clearly that my service sucked and was looking for a booster, they kept calling it an extender. Also I don't have a jetpack currently and they knew that from looking at my account, I'm hoping the logistics just lost in translation. I'm guessing they've gotten a lot of complaints from my area, because they are sending it for no cost. (I've been with Verizon for 15+ years) and with the advancement of technology, they are probably trying to keep customers.

We'll see! :ashamed: