Check your account email address ×

Dirty old pushrods

Rod

#23 - 25

splendid

But that's hardly a scientific comparison of the mechanical virtues of the pushrodless engine.

That scientific analysis would be presented in quantifiable parameters:

- horsepower to weight ratio

- hp / cubic inch

- redline

- etc.

"nope" "Yup" doesn't cut it.

• Gold Member

Camaro is a 4 cylinder most of the time if you are looking for mpg.  8 when you push it.    Under load they are fuel hogs.  My buddies 2014 6.2 silverado is a >14 mpg rig at 80 mph cruise set....  cause its never in 4 cylinder mod...  

5.0 and ecoboost for that matter in the same conditions are 16-18 mpg rigs depending on rear axle ratio.

5 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Camaro is a 4 cylinder most of the time if you are looking for mpg.  8 when you push it.    Under load they are fuel hogs.  My buddies 2014 6.2 silverado is a >14 mpg rig at 80 mph cruise set....  cause its never in 4 cylinder mod...  

5.0 and ecoboost for that matter in the same conditions are 16-18 mpg rigs depending on rear axle ratio.

5.0 is super inefficient 

50 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I put 60k miles on the 5.0  ........it is very powerful when compared to the anemic chevy 5.3 and the 5.0 is incredibly efficient 

Hmmm I've raced the two and the 5.3 won handily. Odd.

" it's useless " #37

Excellent.

useless (y¡s´lîs) adjective

1.    Being or having no beneficial use; futile or ineffective.
2.    Incapable of functioning or assisting; ineffectual: He panics easily and is useless in an emergency. See synonyms at futile.
- use´lessly adverb
- use´lessness noun *

For it to be "useless" (the word YOU used) it would have to be with zero use.

Therefore if I can cite ONE use, ANY use, I prove you wrong. Agreed?

In aeronautical engineering, a powered aircraft needs enough thrust to create sufficient thrust to generate enough aerodynamic lift to lift the weight of the aircraft.

An aircraft with a thrust to weight ratio of greater than one can climb vertically.

But an ostensible aircraft that lacks the thrust to generate the lift to lift itself won't leave the ground under its own power.

SO WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING?

Horsepower to weight ratio is a significant parameter.

And engine displacement influences engine weight.

Most 7 liter engines weigh more than most 2 liter engines.

It's not "useless" if it has a use.

It has a use.

It has more than one use.

So you are wrong

again.

* Excerpted from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition  © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO Corporation; further reproduction and distribution in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.

It's useless. Hp and torque mean something. Hp\L does nothing. Means as much as hp\sandwich.

If you lose a race to a guy who has more hp, do you win by default if you have more hp\L? Nope.

hp\Lb is much more meaningful