Check your account email address ×

Don Evans | WW2 | Tank Gunner -- Becoming a POW

Thanks for posting Vince great story.

I was fortunate to hear my uncle tell his story about getting blown out of his gunner seat of his B17. He chuted down into the ocean for 2 days with half his leg shot off before the Nazis picked him up. He was a POW for 2 years before he was released in a prisoner swap. Unfortunately he lost his leg and passed away in 1967.

• Like 2

my wife's gramps Bronko was shot down over Germany.  they were floating down over a Nazi training camp and so they were all targets for pop shots . he was shot like 12 times . they tossed him in a pow camp 1/2 dead . a Russian pow  doctor operated on him on a picnic table in the yard.no anistsa no after care drugs just a dirty bunk house .  he could sort of talk with them being serb so they kept him there for just over 3 yrs .

the old timers were deff bad ass that guy put down 3 packs of pall mall a day and still made 78 .his job was a stone mason he taught the trade to inmates at st cloud pen for 20 yrs . and by taught that would be getting inmates to to maintain the wall.

before he built most of the fire places in the old homes in bens town 

Edited by Ez ryder
  • Like 2

always cool to hear the old timers stories.  my grandfather was a POW captured during the battle of the bulge and when he retired was head of his WW2 association so when i would travel with them in elementary and middle school we would visit those guys along our travels which was super cool,  stoked my interest in history that i still have to this day

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Oh "man" yes it was! I like when he was talking about short fat Mercer, then he just says he was a "hillbilly" :lol:

That was awesome. 😆