Check your account email address ×

2008 iqrr 600

Tomas.

I will be looking at one of these tonight hopefully if all goes well. What are things to check becides the usual? Also it has twin crankshop pipes and cans which is way too loud for me. Does the stock race iqr exhaust fit or does it have to be iqrr specific? 

Ps. Yes this is the same sled I mentioned in tbp in October but some Shenanigans happened and it didn't go down so now I'm finally looking at it now.

FB_IMG_1513016566395.jpg

Edited by Tomas.

• It only has an 8 gallon tank unless they put an aftermarket tank on it.  
  • 8 gallons will get you about 60 miles in perfect conditions.
  • The clutch side jackshaft bearing was an issue.  There was a jackshaft recall.  You MUST figure out if this recall was completed.  If it wasn't and you have to pay for the parts yourself you are looking at close to $600CDN for the parts alone.
  • Floats stick in the carbs and flood the engine.  It's actually a flaw in the carb casting and fuel leaks by the orings for the float needle.  This is not 100% fixable without a new set of carbs.  
  • Very tall sled because Polaris narrowed the front width but didn't shorten the shocks.  Being tall up front makes it handle like shit on the twisties.  A 440 fan ProX will spank it on the trail.  That is very embarrassing.
  • The tall front end unloads the front track shock and in turn makes the rear of the sled ride on the rear skid shock a lot.  You can drop the front arm mount in the tunnel 7/8" and that helps a lot with the bump absorption.  
  • Shock calibration is pretty good for hard ditch banging.  It's much softer than a IQr but much stiffer than any normal trail sled.  
  • Twin Pipes suck.  Almost all twin pipes for that sled require the removal of the hedlight and intake plenum and airbox.  If those are removed the sled will run like complete shit most of the time.  If those intake parts are all gone it will cost you $600 CDN to put a complete airbox/intake plenum in it.  
  • An IQr exhaust will fit.  It's not a perfect fit and it will require a couple of small brackets for the chassis but it will fit.  It will also work very good, even better than the stock exhaust.  

If you could get that sled for $3000CDN it might be a fair deal.  Any more than that and I would walk away with a smile.  This sled will be the most problematic, unreliable, gas hog you could ever imagine buying.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:
  • It only has an 8 gallon tank unless they put an aftermarket tank on it.  
  • 8 gallons will get you about 60 miles in perfect conditions.
  • The clutch side jackshaft bearing was an issue.  There was a jackshaft recall.  You MUST figure out if this recall was completed.  If it wasn't and you have to pay for the parts yourself you are looking at close to $600CDN for the parts alone.
  • Floats stick in the carbs and flood the engine.  It's actually a flaw in the carb casting and fuel leaks by the orings for the float needle.  This is not 100% fixable without a new set of carbs.  
  • Very tall sled because Polaris narrowed the front width but didn't shorten the shocks.  Being tall up front makes it handle like shit on the twisties.  A 440 fan ProX will spank it on the trail.  That is very embarrassing.
  • The tall front end unloads the front track shock and in turn makes the rear of the sled ride on the rear skid shock a lot.  You can drop the front arm mount in the tunnel 7/8" and that helps a lot with the bump absorption.  
  • Shock calibration is pretty good for hard ditch banging.  It's much softer than a IQr but much stiffer than any normal trail sled.  
  • Twin Pipes suck.  Almost all twin pipes for that sled require the removal of the hedlight and intake plenum and airbox.  If those are removed the sled will run like complete shit most of the time.  If those intake parts are all gone it will cost you $600 CDN to put a complete airbox/intake plenum in it.  
  • An IQr exhaust will fit.  It's not a perfect fit and it will require a couple of small brackets for the chassis but it will fit.  It will also work very good, even better than the stock exhaust.  

If you could get that sled for $3000CDN it might be a fair deal.  Any more than that and I would walk away with a smile.  This sled will be the most problematic, unreliable, gas hog you could ever imagine buying.  

But the upside is..........................................

• Haha 1

I will be trading it straight across for my 2009 M8 153 with around 6000 kms. The reason I am trading is I can not go to the mountains for the foreseeable future. Just too much money. But last year I bought a place out in the country so I can ride from home. I do not really have any people to ride with so I won't be going far. Just a bit of shitty Alberta trail riding and the local trails made by others in the area.

I am also 6'3" and 230lbs so would that help with the harshness lol. I don't mind a stiffer ride. But the rest is good to know!

Edited by Tomas.

Just now, Zambroski said:

:lol: Yeah...that's  what it sounded like.

I just realized it was the "RR" version.  I always loved that iQR though.  Epic race platform.  :bc:

Yes it was a very good race platform.  Still is even with the new plastic.  

The '08 RR was built on the '06 & '07 IQr chassis.  It is a solid chassis but it has a very tall suspension front and rear and it doesn't handle corners at all.  The tall rear skid will limit top speed to the mid 90's no matter what gear you throw at it.  You can mod the skid to get more speed but that limits it's ditch banging ability and hurts cornering even more.  Polaris used revalved IQr shocks on this sled.  The fronts are 18.375" long.  This sled needs an IFS shock that is 17" long max.  

In the right hands this sled can be made to handle great and be super fun.  Not many people willing to put the time and effort into making this a decent sled.  

3 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

I will be trading it straight across for my 2009 M8 153 with around 6000 kms. The reason I am trading is I can not go to the mountains for the foreseeable future. Just too much money. But last year I bought a place out in the country so I can ride from home. I do not really have any people to ride with so I won't be going far. Just a bit of shitty Alberta trail riding and the local trails made by others in the area.

I am also 6'3" and 230lbs so would that help with the harshness lol. I don't mind a stiffer ride. But the rest is good to know!

Shocks are valved perfect for you.  :lol:  

Yes it was a very good race platform.  Still is even with the new plastic.  

The '08 RR was built on the '06 & '07 IQr chassis.  It is a solid chassis but it has a very tall suspension front and rear and it doesn't handle corners at all.  The tall rear skid will limit top speed to the mid 90's no matter what gear you throw at it.  You can mod the skid to get more speed but that limits it's ditch banging ability and hurts cornering even more.  Polaris used revalved IQr shocks on this sled.  The fronts are 18.375" long.  This sled needs an IFS shock that is 17" long max.  

In the right hands this sled can be made to handle great and be super fun.  Not many people willing to put the time and effort into making this a decent sled.  

Yeah,  we had a guy come up and ride with us on one.  Not sure of the year but we left him behind on the twisties.  I just figured he couldn't ride for shit.  But after talking to him I I realized that sled is a bear in the tight corners.  Still, he could jump it accross roads like a boss!  

I didn't look at the time...and honestly, I've never looked but does the iqr have A-arms that will accept a sway?  Or do they even make one for it?

Just now, Zambroski said:

Yeah,  we had a guy come up and ride with us on one.  Not sure of the year but we left him behind on the twisties.  I just figured he couldn't ride for shit.  But after talking to him I I realized that sled is a bear in the tight corners.  Still, he could jump it accross roads like a boss!  

I didn't look at the time...and honestly, I've never looked but does the iqr have A-arms that will accept a sway?  Or do they even make one for it?

A sway bar has to be custom fabricated for this chassis.  Even then it's not a bolt on deal.  Bunke has a sway bar kit for them but it's for the 2011and newer front suspension.  Won't work on pre 2011 sleds without some modifications.

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Shocks are valved perfect for you.  :lol:  

LMAO. I also don't plan on getting rid of the sled anytime soon so I don't mind putting in the time to get it set up just right. It won't happen overnight but I plan on keeping it for quite a while.

Screenshot_2017-12-11-13-06-10.png

Just now, Tomas. said:

LMAO. I also don't plan on getting rid of the sled anytime soon so I don't mind putting in the time to get it set up just right. It won't happen overnight but I plan on keeping it for quite a while.

Those look like crankshop twins.  Much better than the SLP twins that were offered by Polaris.  IS there still a headlight plenum in the cowling?  The black plastic shelf below the headlight?

A sway bar has to be custom fabricated for this chassis.  Even then it's not a bolt on deal.  Bunke has a sway bar kit for them but it's for the 2011and newer front suspension.  Won't work on pre 2011 sleds without some modifications.

Ahh....that sucks for conversion then for sure.  I just bolted on a bar from a RXC on mine.  Perfect fit.

Just now, Tomas. said:

HOLY SMOKES!  Sneak attacker!!!!  STEALTHY!!!  :lol:

Another thing that you ABSOLUTELY MUST confirm before you make this trade.  Look closely at the aluminum drop arm brackets that connect the rear torque arm to the tunnel.  These brackets get loose on the splined end of the bracket.  They were designed incorrectly and once they get loose on the splines you can not get them tight without modifying the bracket.  If the sled is ridden with loose brackets it will damage the tunnel.  Once the tunnel is damaged you will never be able to keep the brackets tight to the tunnel even with locktite.  

The very best fix for this is the 2008 and newer Aluminum drop arm brackets.  These will cost you around $350CDN.  

Apparently the headlight plenum is moved a bit but it is all there and the air box is there as well. Doesn't know about the recall. He bought it off his buddy 3 years ago

16 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Apparently the headlight plenum is moved a bit but it is all there and the air box is there as well. Doesn't know about the recall. He bought it off his buddy 3 years ago

Grab the secondary and try to move it up and down.  Look closely at the jackshaft bearing on the inside if the secondary.  IF it moves at all then the recall was not likely done.  Any polaris dealer can tell you if all the recalls have been completed.  All they need is the VIN.  

It's easiest to see the jackshaft bearing with the airbox removed but it's even easier to just contact the dealer with the VIN.  

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Grab the secondary and try to move it up and down.  Look closely at the jackshaft bearing on the inside if the secondary.  IF it moves at all then the recall was not likely done.  Any polaris dealer can tell you if all the recalls have been completed.  All they need is the VIN.  

It's easiest to see the jackshaft bearing with the airbox removed but it's even easier to just contact the dealer with the VIN.  

I asked for the vin a few mins ago but he doesn't have it on him

4 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

I asked for the vin a few mins ago but he doesn't have it on him

Alot of hot sleds these days out west here....i wouldnt hand any cash over till you can run that vin...youre around the edm area correct?

2 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Alot of hot sleds these days out west here....i wouldnt hand any cash over till you can run that vin...youre around the edm area correct?

I am 30 mins west of Edmonton, so yes. What makes this one very tempting is the fact I won't be out of pocket. He wants a mountain sled and I want a flat land sled. And with the prices of m8's right now and with mine being such high mileage, it is hard to flip

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

There were 3 recalls that I remember.  The jackshaft was the only really important one.  

Are you going to be online at 5ish mountain standard time? So in twoish hours?