Check your account email address ×

Christmas Eve Stuck In The Fog

• Platinum Contributing Member

@KivaloDamn this would suck.

Courtesy of DRE Designs via Facebook 

So here's some perspective for you.... the shot on the left was taken last night aboard the James R Barker by Mate, Kraig Funkey... In the photos from Marine Traffic the JRB isn't labelled... they are directly below the Algoma Niagara... Huge thank you to Kraig for allowing me to share... So that is what it looked like last night... fog, fog and more fog... The next two photos are screenshots of Marine Traffic and how the traffic sits now... The St Mary's River is currently closed in both directions due to fog and it has not let up at all, at least not up this far here in Sault Ste Marie.. You can see the gaggle of vessels together down at Detour and the rest are above the lock coming downbound, all at anchor or going to anchor

We did have an issue in addition to the fog but thankfully that has been resolved... the Captain Henry Jackman from Algoma Central Corp lost power last evening and ran aground at the bottom of the Rock Cut blocking the shipping channel but it didn't matter since the River was closed anyway... tugs went down and freed them just a short time ago and they are now moving but I'm not sure how far they will go... We'll see if they go past everyone at the bottom of the River and head out onto the Lake... They are headed for Port Cartier, QUE so it's quite a ways to go yet... I'm guessing it's their last trip of the season since the Seaway will be closed on the 31st

As for everyone else it will be a very busy next 24 hours or so here in town once the river finally opens back up again!

IMG_2358.thumb.jpeg.cd099e5687f92c674695b4a5872c1521.jpegIMG_2359.thumb.jpeg.27d1df73cd6440cf3f0668f31807e9ca.jpegIMG_2360.thumb.jpeg.5b14392e68eef54ea41e3c523682c0fd.jpeg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

2 long blasts every 2 minutes. No one is getting any sleep on that boat tonight!  :lol:

That's a cool picture though!  :bc:

RADAR is your best friend in restricted viability!

Especially when that boat is known for the "Barkers Bark" when they give a salute.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Especially when that boat is known for the "Barkers Bark" when they give a salute.

Hell Yeah…I haven’t heard the Barker Bark in person…only on video…impressive!👊🏻🇺🇸🎄

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Hell Yeah…I haven’t heard the Barker Bark in person…only on video…impressive!👊🏻🇺🇸🎄

Me too, I follow that Facebook page as well. My folks traveled around the u.p a couple years back for their anniversary and the Barker came through Sault St Marie when they were camped right there.

• Like 1