Check your account email address ×

'Don't tell them I didn't have it on': Biden flaunts not wearing mask after COVID exposure

XCR1250

'Don't tell them I didn't have it on': Biden flaunts not wearing mask after COVID exposure

4d13755c-843c-4565-98e0-c6a4293e9005-GarJoey Garrison
USA TODAY

WASHINGTON − President Joe Biden joked about not wearing a mask Wednesday following this week's positive COVID-19 test of his wife, first lady Jill Biden, sending mixed signals as White House officials insist the president is following CDC guidelines.

Biden walked into the White House State Dining Room holding − not wearing − a face mask before delivering remarks to a room of reporters, White House aides and stakeholders on a new contract between unions and shipping companies in West Coast ports.

"Let me explain to the press: I've been tested again today. I'm clear across the board," Biden said as he got underway, holding up a black face mask. "But they keep telling me, because this has to be 10 days or something, I've got to keep wearing it. But don't tell them I didn't have it on when I walked in."

After Biden spoke for about 10 minutes, the president left the room with his mask still in his hand, not over his face.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises individuals who were in close contact with someone infected with COVID wear a high-quality mask when indoors and around others for 10 days, in addition to regular testing and monitoring for symptoms.

President Joe Biden holds up his mask while delivering remarks to an audience of leaders from the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) and the Pacific Maritime Association (PMA) during an event to congratulate them on finalizing a new labor contract in the State Dining Room at the White House on September 06, 2023 in Washington, DC.

For the second straight day, President Biden tested negative Wednesday for COVID-19 following his wife's positive case and is experiencing no symptoms, the White House said.

But his public appearance without a mask contradicted White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre, who minutes earlier said Biden "is going to be masking in this 10-day period" in accordance with CDC recommendations.

Biden remains scheduled to travel to India on Thursday for a summit of Group of 20 nations before heading to Vietnam and Alaska this weekend. Jill Biden is recovering from COVID at the first family's vacation home in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

"The president's going to continue to following CDC guidance," Jean-Pierre said of his interactions with world leaders at the summit. "That includes masking. That includes testing."

Biden's nonchalant attitude on masks Wednesday seemed a far cry from his COVID approach during the first two years in the White House, when he strictly followed CDC advice on masks. Much has changed, however, since the lockdowns that dominated the beginning of the pandemic, and much of the country retired their masks long ago.

Still, COVID-19 cases are on the rise again, with weekly U.S. hospitalizations from the virus up 15.7%, according to the CDC.

On Tuesday, Biden wore a face mask as he arrived at a White House Medal of Honor ceremony for Vietnam War veteran Capt. Larry Taylor. The president took it off as he gave remarks about Taylor's service and kept it off as he placed the medal around Taylor's neck.

Biden then left the White House East Room, where the ceremony was held, during a final prayer before the ceremony concluded.

Jean-Pierre said Biden's early exit was to minimize contact with the hundreds of attendees in the room. Prior to the ceremony, Biden wore a mask as he personally thanked Taylor for his service and heroism, Jean-Pierre added.

President Joe Biden holds up a face mask while speaking about strengthening US ports and supply chains after the International Longshore and Warehouse Union and the Pacific Maritime Association finalized a new contract covering west coast ports, in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on September 6, 2023.

"We are in a different phase, as we have said many times, with COVID," Jean-Pierre said at a White House press briefing. "This is kind of going on the third year of coming out of this pandemic. We believe we're in a very strong position to continue to fight COVID. And this is not new. People know what it's like to have COVID, know what it's like during this time."