Check your account email address ×

General Motors is offering buyouts in an effort to cut $2 billion in costs

• Platinum Contributing Member

General Motors is offering buyouts to salaried employees in the U.S. and some global executives in order to cut $2 billion in costs over the next two years as the Detroit automaker makes the transition to electric vehicles.

CEO Mary Barry said in a statement Thursday that the "voluntary separation program" will be offered until March 24 and is a step that will help avoid "involuntary actions" later.

"By permanently bringing down structured costs, we can improve vehicle profitability and remain nimble in an increasing competitive market," she said.

The buyouts will be offered to salaried employees with at least five years of time at GM, as well as to global executives with at least two years.

The company has some 58,000 employees on salary in the U.S. It is unknown how many employees GM is targeting for the buyouts.

General Motors initially announced the $2 billion in trims in January, with the company saying it expected between 30% and 50% in savings in 2023.

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

Inventory is back. Sales are down. Everyone is talking about recession. Trying to get ahead of it here.

Seeing a lot of ford tv ads for 2022 f 150. Guess those parts finaly came in and now they are built and sitting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Seeing a lot of ford tv ads for 2022 f 150. Guess those parts finaly came in and now they are built and sitting.

Can't find a 22 Super Duty anywhere unless it's an XL or maybe an XLT. Even used are pretty scarce.

Edited by Steve753

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

Can't find a 22 Super Duty anywhere unless it's an XL or maybe an XLT. Even used are pretty scarce.

Dosnt surprise me. Always ads ( except during covid ) for f 150's 

Superdutys none , they sell themselves. Kinda like drugs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I hope the fuckers burn in hell, the thievery thats been happening the last couple yrs turns my stomach 

1 minute ago, toslow said:

I hope the fuckers burn in hell, the thievery thats been happening the last couple yrs turns my stomach 

I hope I drives prices on used trucks down. I need to buy one.