Check your account email address ×

Computer help, please!

Yesterday, on another site, I copied and past an E-Bay link and when I went to open it I received/seen a Viglink ad/page instead.

I have tried everything within my ability to remove it but have had zero success. I can hit de-link/opt out in the ad but if you log out, clear cookies, etc, it will open up the next time you log in.

I researched it to find out what it was and came up with this. Seems it has been around for a while and is used to help generate further revenue for sites. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VigLink

If any of you computer guys know how to get rid of it, I am all ears! I have Windows 10, have Avast, Ccleaner, downloaded Malwarebytes yesterday, but nothing seems to work. I even did a boot scan but had no success.

Thanks in advance. 

10 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Type uninstall and look for newly installed programs in win 10.  Also check your browser for new installed add-ons and remove/disable them. 

I appreciate your help but you need to be more specific, AC. Where do I type "uninstall" and how do I check my browser? I found some info where I was suppose to see it in my "extensions" but all it shows is my Avast programs?

http://sensorstechforum.com/remove-prosperent-com-marketing-ads-completely/

Could it be possible I only see the Viglink ad on that other site? I wanted to post a link here and try it but I don't want to possibly cause any further problems? 

I did try it in my e-mail and the link opened no problem. 

38 minutes ago, irv said:

I appreciate your help but you need to be more specific, AC. Where do I type "uninstall" and how do I check my browser? I found some info where I was suppose to see it in my "extensions" but all it shows is my Avast programs?

http://sensorstechforum.com/remove-prosperent-com-marketing-ads-completely/

Could it be possible I only see the Viglink ad on that other site? I wanted to post a link here and try it but I don't want to possibly cause any further problems? 

I did try it in my e-mail and the link opened no problem. 

Type uninstall in the Cortana field at the bottom left of the screen where is says "ask me anything".  That should filter a number of selections with one being program install and remove.  Look for anything that was installed yesterday or does not look right.

What browser are you using?  Extensions is addons for Chrome, so that looks good.

On the bold that is quite possible.  OC had an issue they didn't even know about until I brought it to them.  I would occasionally get a redirect to a different site using IE, Dom eventually found it and got rid of it.    You could send a message to the site and let them know. 

7 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Type uninstall in the Cortana field at the bottom left of the screen where is says "ask me anything".  That should filter a number of selections with one being program install and remove.  Look for anything that was installed yesterday or does not look right.

What browser are you using?  Extensions is addons for Chrome, so that looks good.

On the bold that is quite possible.  OC had an issue they didn't even know about until I brought it to them.  I would occasionally get a redirect to a different site using IE, Dom eventually found it and got rid of it.    You could send a message to the site and let them know. 

Thanks. 

Nothing looks out of the ordinary, and the only thing new is Malwarebytes, which I downloaded/installed yesterday to try and fix this problem.

The only other thing that shows a current/new date is, Teamviewer 11. I really don't know what that is but it was already installed when I purchased this new computer last year. 

The site I am referring to is a memorabilia forum. I copied a e-bay link I got from pwcc, which is a auction site/house that uses e-bay as a link/store to sell memorabilia.

I went directly to their site for the posting instead of going directly to e-bay and that is when I noticed the pop up/ad for Viglink. I now get the Viglink screen every time I open a e-bay link on that memorabilia forum (net54baseball) but others see the e-bay posting no problem at all. 

28 minutes ago, irv said:

Thanks. 

Nothing looks out of the ordinary, and the only thing new is Malwarebytes, which I downloaded/installed yesterday to try and fix this problem.

The only other thing that shows a current/new date is, Teamviewer 11. I really don't know what that is but it was already installed when I purchased this new computer last year. 

The site I am referring to is a memorabilia forum. I copied a e-bay link I got from pwcc, which is a auction site/house that uses e-bay as a link/store to sell memorabilia.

I went directly to their site for the posting instead of going directly to e-bay and that is when I noticed the pop up/ad for Viglink. I now get the Viglink screen every time I open a e-bay link on that memorabilia forum (net54baseball) but others see the e-bay posting no problem at all. 

Teamviewer is remote control software for letting someone else (internet)  remotely access and control your PC as if they were right there with you.  We use it all the time, its very good. 

There may be an issue with the site and links, doesn't seem to be any malware installed.  Try a different browser and see if the issue repeats.

43 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Teamviewer is remote control software for letting someone else (internet)  remotely access and control your PC as if they were right there with you.  We use it all the time, its very good. 

There may be an issue with the site and links, doesn't seem to be any malware installed.  Try a different browser and see if the issue repeats.

When you open the site in question, at the top left, in the tool bar header, it reads "site not secure"  I clicked on the little round icon beside that and that opens up some info, namely cookies. In there, I found the Viglink cookie so I blocked it. I then tried the same e-bay link from yesterday and I still get the viglink home page instead of the e-bay listing?

Needless to say, I think the problem is with that site specifically? I have contacted the site owner and let him know but I know he is not tech savvy and has someone else look after the site. A host? I haven't heard back from him but I assume I will and I assume he'll look into it. He was recently having issues so I can't help but think this is when it was added or this is part of his problem? Do you know anything about Viglink or have dealt with it before? It is difficult to remove from what I am gathering.

Thanks for your help! :bc:

I had a problem with ads appearing in firefox once.  Even if I uninstalled-reinstalled it, I still got the ads.  It was impossible to find the installation of the ad modification. To get rid of them, I had to reset firefox to factory defaults.  I'm sure your browser has that capability. :dunno:

8 hours ago, SmeeAgain said:

I had a problem with ads appearing in firefox once.  Even if I uninstalled-reinstalled it, I still got the ads.  It was impossible to find the installation of the ad modification. To get rid of them, I had to reset firefox to factory defaults.  I'm sure your browser has that capability. :dunno:

I might have to try that as I am not having any luck at all.

It's funny, I can open other links in that site without a problem, but if I open an E-Bay link, I get the Viglink every time. I blocked it in the sites cookies and can get it to work temporarily but it comes right back if I log out.

I type in viglink in another engine and found where I could disable it, but again, as soon as I close it, it comes back.

I am trying to work with the sites tech so hopefully we can figure something out?

8 hours ago, oleroule said:

try system restore to a point before the infection happened.

6 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

So long as he created one.

Never created one and I uploaded some Avast updates after the fact and I see those when I go to restore. I am also losing my faith in Avast. Too many problems with their protection, lagging, incomplete scans, etc. Not sure who to use other than avast, but it's something I have to look into. I wrote yesterday morning and haven't received a word from them!

1 hour ago, irv said:

I might have to try that as I am not having any luck at all.

It's funny, I can open other links in that site without a problem, but if I open an E-Bay link, I get the Viglink every time. I blocked it in the sites cookies and can get it to work temporarily but it comes right back if I log out.

I type in viglink in another engine and found where I could disable it, but again, as soon as I close it, it comes back.

I am trying to work with the sites tech so hopefully we can figure something out?

Never created one and I uploaded some Avast updates after the fact and I see those when I go to restore. I am also losing my faith in Avast. Too many problems with their protection, lagging, incomplete scans, etc. Not sure who to use other than avast, but it's something I have to look into. I wrote yesterday morning and haven't received a word from them!

I use avast free, and Malwarebytes.  The pro version of avast started deleting some core application files without warning that were clean so I tossed it.  Does it happen on a diff browser?  If it's only on the site it isn't likely your problem, plus it's not like it's happening on f's. Lol. 

12 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I use avast free, and Malwarebytes.  The pro version of avast started deleting some core application files without warning that were clean so I tossed it.  Does it happen on a diff browser?  If it's only on the site it isn't likely your problem, plus it's not like it's happening on f's. Lol. 

I just finished installing Opera as another browser and the problem doesn't exist? What exactly does this mean? Is my Google Chrome corrupted, should I do a reset, scan, or something else? I'd like to continue using Chrome, if possible, as all my saved/imports/favorites from IE are there, like this site and many other direct links to other sites and info. 

Thanks again, AC. 

55 minutes ago, irv said:

I just finished installing Opera as another browser and the problem doesn't exist? What exactly does this mean? Is my Google Chrome corrupted, should I do a reset, scan, or something else? I'd like to continue using Chrome, if possible, as all my saved/imports/favorites from IE are there, like this site and many other direct links to other sites and info. 

Thanks again, AC. 

It sure sounds to me that you have a line in the configuration file of Chrome that tells it to go to that ad page instead of ebay.  I'm sure a reset to factory defaults will take care of it. :bc: 

1 hour ago, irv said:

Thanks again, AC. 

What SMeeAgain said.

25 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

It sure sounds to me that you have a line in the configuration file of Chrome that tells it to go to that ad page instead of ebay.  I'm sure a reset to factory defaults will take care of it. :bc: 

16 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What SMeeAgain said.

Will I lose anything if I attempt that?

The site owner informed me today that he has been using Viglink for 5 yrs now. Said it is an income provider for him.

Not sure why he waited until today, but that was good to know as I feel a lot less worried/concerned that something serious is going on with my computer. 

He did say something is going on, obviously, and said I shouldn't be seeing that pop up like I do. He said it runs behind the scenes so to speak.

Thanks guys. :bc:

5 minutes ago, irv said:

Will I lose anything if I attempt that?

The site owner informed me today that he has been using Viglink for 5 yrs now. Said it is an income provider for him.

Not sure why he waited until today, but that was good to know as I feel a lot less worried/concerned that something serious is going on with my computer. 

He did say something is going on, obviously, and said I shouldn't be seeing that pop up like I do. He said it runs behind the scenes so to speak.

Thanks guys. :bc:

Not in my experience.  It simply resets your config and doesn't bother any saved passwords or links.  :bc:

19 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

Not in my experience.  It simply resets your config and doesn't bother any saved passwords or links.  :bc:

Good to know!

Thanks! :bc:

On 4/6/2017 at 10:37 AM, SmeeAgain said:

On 4/6/2017 at 10:46 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

What SMeeAgain said.

Well, no luck doing that either. I took zero seconds to do it, is that normal? I thought I might see something but I couldn't even tell I did it.

I even restarted the computer but that Viglink pop up still appears when I open an e-bay link on that site.

It's a bit of a pain, but not the end of the world, but at the same time, I wish it wasn't there.

Thanks for your help!

36 minutes ago, irv said:

Well, no luck doing that either. I took zero seconds to do it, is that normal? I thought I might see something but I couldn't even tell I did it.

I even restarted the computer but that Viglink pop up still appears when I open an e-bay link on that site.

It's a bit of a pain, but not the end of the world, but at the same time, I wish it wasn't there.

Thanks for your help!

Curious, when you just cursor over the link, what does the link point to?  Is it ebay or Viglink?  It may just be out of your hands and the site owner needs to address it.

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Curious, when you just cursor over the link, what does the link point to?  Is it ebay or Viglink?  It may just be out of your hands and the site owner needs to address it.

I just checked and it reads, Rover E-Bay.com and then the rest is just a description of what it is. The ad turns red when I hover it then the description at the very bottom of the screen.

This is the only site that does this, and being as the owner said he uses Viglink, I think you're right in saying this is his problem. 

50 minutes ago, irv said:

I just checked and it reads, Rover E-Bay.com and then the rest is just a description of what it is. The ad turns red when I hover it then the description at the very bottom of the screen.

This is the only site that does this, and being as the owner said he uses Viglink, I think you're right in saying this is his problem. 

It certainly looks like it.

24 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

It certainly looks like it.

I'll follow it up with him.

Thanks for your help. :bc: