Check your account email address ×

Toronto teacher under investigation for hostile pro mask email to students

Rod

The message from Sandy Gladstone, an art and woodworking teacher at Northern Secondary School, goes against both TDSB and provincial policy — which says that masks remain optional for all students.

“This is to let you know that you will be admitted to our classroom only after I request that you have a well-fitting mask on; and that it will be kept on, over your nose, throughout your time with me,” the email from Gladstone to students, sent over the weekend, said.

“You will also continue to abide our backpacks down — hands washed with soap — get seated, protocols.” This policy also appears to be of Gladstone’s creation, as there is currently no mandatory TDSB handwashing policy related to COVID-19.

Gladstone added: “If you object to this request, and if you are OK with infecting me and others, maybe even killing me, no problem… you do you… seated in the Hallway [sic] outside our classroom ( not wandering ) … I’ll pass you some work to complete.”

• Sad 1