Check your account email address ×

got an electric motor problem

ive got a new /older craftsman drill press thats been in the box sitting for some years now. i set it up and hit the switch and fires right up turns like it should........ for a few seconds. then it suddenly slows, it sounds like its binding up, shut it off then turn it on again and it starts up normal again but slows right down in a two or three count..?  spin it by hand and it free as could be.

now this is without the belt hooked up so its not a bearing along the way far as i can tell, what would cause this any ideas??

if i leave it on while binding a few seconds to see if it will recover it will smell like an old AFX slot cah  lol       ive tried different outlets thinking its a feed issue with the same result.

anyone?

Make sure the motor has been wired/connected for the right voltage,  115 or 220.

Depending on the motor style, there's a governor on the non pulley end of the stator that isn't flying out or the start capacitor is pooched. 

You should see a plate and a couple springs on the governor style, make sure they're free to flip open.

Motor capacitors are cheap from a supply house, the specs will be right on the casing.

thanks tink.  it came fully assembled and mounted so it ssshould be wired correctly.  its strange it starts fine then slows as it warms up (i imagine)

This area is so corrosive to metals i thought maybe the windings themselves were compromised.  will look it over again today :bc:

On the initial start up it does snap out, then hit full speed for a few seconds but thats it, it slows right down as if under a heavy load. Turn it off and its free as could be. I haven't had time today to check it out.  Il git to it tonight when I escape to the barn. Thanks again.

it is a Craftsman mayyybe i can still get it warranteed  ?