Check your account email address ×

Buttigieg to raise/at least double fed gas taxes.

BOHICA

42 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

$75 on top of his already over the top MN registration dues for vehicles 10 years and newer.  

I think we are higher than you guys here.    My used 2019 F150 was about 700 for the first year.     

• Gold Member
53 minutes ago, racer254 said:

They have plenty of money to send all over the world. Vehicle Registrations have gone up and they have imposed wheel taxes all over.   No way am I for raising a federal tax so that the money will get used on some high speed train in California.

Registrations are a state thing...  only fed money going into roads are from gas tax and borrowed money the federal government gets from China and stuff.  

I think the best would be just make everything an automatic toll road and eliminate gas tax all together.  Drive on a road you pay x per mile for that road based on vehicle classification and the money only goes to that road and that road only.

Edited by BOHICA

2 hours ago, Cat45 said:

They have proposed a mileage tax, but theres alot of discussion on how to record the mileage accurately. 1 idea that's way out there is GPS type tracking, but of course they promise not to use it for anything but mileage

In Mass (where I live) we need to get a state safety inspection every year. At that inspection, the mileage on the odometer is recorded. It's not perfect, because there is typically a federal, and stated gas tax. When I buy gas in a trip (say in Maine), the state tax for the gas I buy in Maine stays in Maine, presumably to improve the roads in Maine. 

Really, the best way to do it (and I hate to say this) is to have every car have a transponder, like the ones used on toll roads. Set up gantries on main roads, and track mileage that way. Do this for ALL cars, regardless of what type of fuel it uses. Then tax by the mile, which is how the current gas tax works (drive more miles, buy more gas, pay more tax). But - if this were to be the plan, the current gas tax would need to be eliminated.