Check your account email address ×

Impressive

Snake

A U.S. Army self-propelled howitzer firing a Mach-5 shell just shot down a cruise missile for the first time.

It’s a big deal. Imagine, in some future war, Army howitzers ringing a strategic air base in the western Pacific, swatting down incoming missiles so the base’s planes can take off and land unmolested.

The shoot-down took place at the White Sands missile range in New Mexico on Wednesday. An M-109A6 Paladin tracked howitzer fired a 155-millimeter-diameter hypervelocity shell at an incoming BQM-167 target drone, blasting it to pieces.

“Tanks shooting down cruise missiles is awesome—video-game, sci-fi awesome,” said Will Roper, the U.S. Air Force’s top scientist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Snake said:

Impressive when you think a howitzer basically just shoots a small Volkswagen  a few miles downrange and hopes to hit a target.

The retrofitting of these ancient armaments with modern guidance systems has made them highly accurate and lethal again.  It’s not like the ordnance has changed much....it just needs a higher level of accuracy and target tracking.

Still, to hit a cruise missile?  Impressive.  Even the crew must have been like, “Get the fuck out!  We actually hit it?!?!?!”

:lol:

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

The retrofitting of these ancient armaments with modern guidance systems has made them highly accurate and lethal again.  It’s not like the ordnance has changed much....it just needs a higher level of accuracy and target tracking.

Still, to hit a cruise missile?  Impressive.  Even the crew must have been like, “Get the fuck out!  We actually hit it?!?!?!”

:lol:

While in Germany I was with the 2nd Bn, 3rd Field Artillery Regt. I worked for the CESO, and would frequently get the chance to sit "on the hill" and watch 109s hit tanks from miles away. A mind blow.

• Like 2

Just now, Snake said:

While in Germany I was with the 2nd Bn, 3rd Field Artillery Regt. I worked for the CESO, and would frequently get the chance to sit "on the hill" and watch 109s hit tanks from miles away. A mind blow.

Friend was on the New Jersey off Nam, he sent me pics of the 16" shooting.. they had a camera set up on Deck, pretty wild stuff. He was a 5" Fire Control Tech.

6 hours ago, Snake said:

We did several “fun” cross training exercises with armored units at both Ft. Benning and Ft. Stewart.  I got to run down range as a gunner in an M1 both times.  Honestly, sweet fuck!  Just unreal what our military is capable of....and sadly just handcuffed to apply in the real world. 

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

We did several “fun” cross training exercises with armored units at both Ft. Benning and Ft. Stewart.  I got to run down range as a gunner in an M1 both times.  Honestly, sweet fuck!  Just unreal what our military is capable of....and sadly just handcuffed to apply in the real world. 

The kaserne I was at isn't even there anymore.

ayers.kaserne.montage.jpg