Check your account email address ×

University of WIsconsin system cuts.

MADISON, Wis. — University of Wisconsin System administration will lay off an untold number of employees over the next two years as part of $10 million in cuts announced by interim President Tommy Thompson.

The layoffs Thompson announced Tuesday affect employees of UW System Administration only. The system’s 13 universities are making their own reductions that were necessary due to a loss in revenue and state-ordered cuts due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The layoffs of system employees will total about $6 million over two years, which represents a 10% cut to state-supported salaries.

U of Michigan football takes in about 122 million a year and funds like 80% of the schools total athletics budget. That’s a big hole to fill. I imagine Bucky is in a similar hole.

I’ve also heard parents encouraging kids to stay home and do college remotely. Plus the international kids that can’t travel right now. I imagine there will be some empty dorms as well. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
23 minutes ago, Edmo said:

U of Michigan football takes in about 122 million a year and funds like 80% of the schools total athletics budget. That’s a big hole to fill. I imagine Bucky is in a similar hole.

I’ve also heard parents encouraging kids to stay home and do college remotely. Plus the international kids that can’t travel right now. I imagine there will be some empty dorms as well. 

Don't believe that is true and the reason colleges are keeping at least 1 day of in class "teaching" a week so they can get around Trump's order where foreign students are to go home if classes are online only. 

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Don't believe that is true and the reason colleges are keeping at least 1 day of in class "teaching" a week so they can get around Trump's order where foreign students are to go home if classes are online only. 

40 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Sounds like this is a good time to make the necessary changes to all the secondary institutions and their funds from the states.   When Walker did something like this the liberal democrats and Walker haters were all complaining about it, now that we have COVID and a Dem governor, seems they will be quiet regarding cuts.  FINALLY some spending may be curtailed.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Andrew Yang did a good interview with Joe Rogan on why the cost of college has went up so much.   He missed some things and was wrong on some things but still made some good points on the growth of administration in colleges.  

1 hour ago, Edmo said:

if it wasn't for the household dynamic my daughter would be staying home but she'd rather have 7k in student loans than live with us so shes going back.  

41 minutes ago, Highmark said:

believe that order was changed

48 minutes ago, Highmark said:

One of my son’s roommates in stuck in Singapore. They won’t allow him to travel here. They’re moving out this week and we’re going to grab his stuff to store it for him. Doing all his classes remotely for now.