Check your account email address ×

So much gold that we can’t reply too. Why closed to replies?

I archived old posts when we were having issues with the site. The problem lies in search. When the database has a million posts,  it has to go through the entire database every time someone used the search feature.  That is one of the reasons that the site was so sluggish.  When the older posts are archived the are put in their own DB inside of the main DB. The posts are still there,  but only for viewing.  They could all be put back in the main DB, but I'm afraid it would just slow it down unless we upgraded servers.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

I archived old posts when we were having issues with the site. The problem lies in search. When the database has a million posts,  it has to go through the entire database every time someone used the search feature.  That is one of the reasons that the site was so sluggish.  When the older posts are archived the are put in their own DB inside of the main DB. The posts are still there,  but only for viewing.  They could all be put back in the main DB, but I'm afraid it would just slow it down unless we upgraded servers.  

not worth it to slow down the site.  the best gems were on FS 1.0 anyways.  

• Like 1

Just now, Angry ginger said:

not worth it to slow down the site.  the best gems were on FS 1.0 anyways.  

I wish rob hadn't deleted that database. :(

1 hour ago, ckf said:

I wish rob hadn't deleted that database. :(

Me too, but to be honest I think many members would leave, no way they could justify the 180's they have taken.

• Haha 1