Check your account email address ×

I never heard this before till 1 of the locals here got it from smoking

XCR1250

Smoking Increases Colon Cancer Risk

Regular colon cancer screening is especially important for smokers and ex-smokers.

By Marijke Vroomen-Durning, RN

Medically Reviewed by Lindsey Marcellin, MD, MPH

Smoking causes many types of illnesses — including some that people may not immediately associate with cigarettes, such as colon cancer. Smokers not only have a higher risk of developing colon cancer, they also have a higher risk of dying from the disease.

Colon Cancer: The Smoking Connection

“Cigarette smoke contains many carcinogens [cancer-causing agents], benzopyrenes being the most well-known,” says Thomas Imperiale, MD, professor of medicine and associate director for research for the Division of Gastroenterology at the Indiana University School of Medicine. “It’s believed that these carcinogens cause damage to the DNA and, over time, the body’s ability to repair that damage decreases.”

Colon Cancer: Does Quitting Reduce Risk?

Breaking your smoking habit is always a good idea in terms of cancer prevention. But, while quitting can help reduce your risk of developing colon cancer, there is a long lag time before the risk drops, says Dr. Imperiale. “There’s an ‘induction’ period, too,” he explains. “What’s been strongly linked with [colon] cancer is smoking in your teens and 20s, because there’s about a 30-year lag between the onset of smoking and the onset of adenocarcinomas" — pre- or early cancer. So, just as it takes a long period for the cancer to show up, it can take an equally long time for the body to return to the average level of risk.

Colon Cancer: Screening for Smokers

At present, there’s no set guideline for when smokers should be screened for colon cancer if they have no other apparent risk factors. The American Cancer Society (ACS) guidelines suggest that seemingly healthy people who are at low risk for developing colon cancer should be screened starting around age 50; how often after that you would have your next colonoscopy screening depends on results of that first test.

Imperiale says that the evidence is strong enough to indicate that the risk of colon cancer from smoking is as high as having a first-degree relative — parent, sibling, or child — with colon cancer. The ACS recommends that those people begin screening at age 40, but does not recommend the same for smokers or former smokers. Unfortunately, “for some reason, we’ve been skirting the issue of screening these people more aggressively,” he says.

As more research is done on the link between smoking and colon cancer, smoking may become recognized as a risk factor that should prompt earlier screening. Until that happens, if you are or were a smoker, talk to your doctor about whether you are a candidate for earlier testing.

Keep in mind that it’s never too late to quit smoking. According to Imperiale, “If a smoker does quit the habit, although it takes time for the body to return to its ability to repair damaged DNA, it does happen over time."

Cigarettes basically slowly poison you so yeah all of your organs can be damaged by it. Cigarette smoking is 20x more carcinegenic than asbestos exposure. Asbestos was banned 40 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Cigarettes basically slowly poison you so yeah all of your organs can be damaged by it. Cigarette smoking is 20x more carcinegenic than asbestos exposure. Asbestos was banned 40 years ago. 

When I was in High School I used to unload 50 lb. bags of Asbestos from train cars, no mask or respirator, looked like fog in there, wonder if it will get me some day???

Just now, XCR1250 said:

When I was in High School I used to unload 50 lb. bags of Asbestos from train cars, no mask or respirator, looked like fog in there, wonder if it will get me some day???

Possibly but we have all been exposed in our lives. It was used in over 3000 products and is part of our environment. The guys I know who got sick were guys that worked with it everyday for 20 or more years. Pretty much every house or building built before 1980 has it or had it so if it were as dangerous as some would have you think we'd all be dead. 

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Possibly but we have all been exposed in our lives. It was used in over 3000 products and is part of our environment. The guys I know who got sick were guys that worked with it everyday for 20 or more years. Pretty much every house or building built before 1980 has it or had it so if it were as dangerous as some would have you think we'd all be dead. 

This home I live at has Vermiculite in the attic, I blew in another 2 feet of Cellulose on top of it.

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

This home I live at has Vermiculite in the attic, I blew in another 2 feet of Cellulose on top of it.

Yep the EPA has said that vermiculite is to be considered asbestos because veins of asbestos are known to be in vermiculite and when it's mined it gets contaminated and it's hard to detect in it so they just say it's asbestos now even tho probably 90% or more doesn't have any asbestos in it. It's in alot of houses around here. I get calls from home owners all the time that freak out when they find out it's in their house. After I talk to them for 5 minutes they calm down. :lol:

every one knows smoking is not good for you. but it seems everything that can go wrong with ya is blamed on the weed. cancer, smoking. resperatory issues, smoking.blindness, smoking. hang nail. smoking. my tundra cant beat new summit, smoking. this year, i have seen five of our friends go to the dirt bed, (late 50's and one 61, one 65). 3 were lifestyle choices, but two were the clean living type

• Haha 1

Just now, Anler said:

Yep the EPA has said that vermiculite is to be considered asbestos because veins of asbestos are known to be in vermiculite and when it's mined it gets contaminated and it's hard to detect in it so they just say it's asbestos now even tho probably 90% or more doesn't have any asbestos in it. It's in alot of houses around here. I get calls from home owners all the time that freak out when they find out it's in their house. After I talk to them for 5 minutes they calm down. :lol:

This place was built in 1963 so that's probably all they had up here in the middle of nowhere..lol

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

This place was built in 1963 so that's probably all they had up here in the middle of nowhere..lol

It was used pretty universally from late 40's through the 70's. Alot of old Sears homes have it. 

1 minute ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

every one knows smoking is not good for you. but it seems everything that can go wrong with ya is blamed on the weed. cancer, smoking. resperatory issues, smoking.blindness, smoking. hang nail. smoking. my tundra cant beat new summit, smoking. this year, i have seen five of our friends go to the dirt bed, (late 50's and one 61, one 65). 3 were lifestyle choices, but two were the clean living type

All my Aunts and Uncles on my dad's side except 1 Uncle, all died from smoking..I've never smoked so maybe be okay..

• Like 1

Just now, Anler said:

It was used pretty universally from late 40's through the 70's. Alot of old Sears homes have it. 

My first home I bought in 1966 when I was only 18 years old was built in 1923, it had old newspapers in the walls for insulation, found that when I redid the interior around 1971.

• Like 1

What doesn’t give you cancer? 
bottle water,  red meat, bbq,  every medication ever made, lawn products,  not enough sleep, coffee,  soda,  blah, blah. 
you know what? You’re going to die .  Accept it and enjoy the time you have. 

r

• Like 1

Just now, XCR1250 said:

All my Aunts and Uncles on my dad's side except 1 Uncle, all died from smoking..I've never smoked so maybe be okay..

it is weird. dads mom died at 70, never smoked. dads dad quit smoking at ninety fucking three. died a year later. moms dad at 84 last exhalation full of smoke. moms mom 89 smoked till she was 80. my pop died at 77 but quit when he was 55 after a jammer. ex's friend lung cancer, died at 45. never smoked. me? quit a couple years ago, and am happy about it

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

With what's in 'em I understand it's possible ha,ha..

Tobacco smoke is both toxic and addictive.  Tobacco smoke contains around 7,000 chemicals. Many of these are poisonous and over 60 are known to be cancer causing