Check your account email address ×

Line 5 oil pipeline in Straits of Mackinac dented by ship

• Platinum Contributing Member

Two things...do they have any idea on what ship may have caused  this and this article says a fluid containing Benzene....other articles I read called it mineral oil. 

looks like that pipe needs to be shored up and have a pex sleeve run through it  or install a new pipe . we all know 1 huge reason they have not attempted a new pipe is because it would never be allowed today and if by some payoff it was it would cost trillions for epa compliance.  

• Gold Member
36 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Two things...do they have any idea on what ship may have caused  this and this article says a fluid containing Benzene....other articles I read called it mineral oil. 

Benzene product is the coolant for the electric cable.

not in the pipeline...  the electric companies cable is leaking....  not the oil pipeline

Edited by BOHICA

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Benzene product is the coolant for the electric cable.

not in the pipeline...  the electric companies cable is leaking....  not the oil pipeline

I understand that and some reports have simply called it mineral oil. Also these dents were discovered after the power cable Leak.

56 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I understand that and some reports have simply called it mineral oil. Also these dents were discovered after the power cable Leak.

Yup. They figure it was likely the same boat.

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

looks like that pipe needs to be shored up and have a pex sleeve run through it  or install a new pipe . we all know 1 huge reason they have not attempted a new pipe is because it would never be allowed today and if by some payoff it was it would cost trillions for epa compliance.  

It's not a critical line, it can be shut in and not replaced, period.