Check your account email address ×

The Trains

that was king edward lacroix railroad. the trains came across the ice from quebec. he had a contract with great northern paper to supply 4ft wood for there paper mill. the first hunk of iron in the vid was the steam donkey engine that ran the tramway. moving wood from 1 lake to the other. the trains were parked in a building when that contract was complete. now that story was told to me 30 yrs ago by a retired me forest service guy. one took it upon himself to burn the building they were in

they should just install and EZ pass on the trail up there these days between those coming in from chesuncook and libbys.  It's one of those visit once kind of spots.  went right by this winter without stopping when we went from jackman to liibys and back through shin/nocket.  It would be cool to hike in there maybe this summer

I was told that when that area was declared a wilderness waterway all structures in the waterway were burnt down including the train house with the trains still inside. Nugents Camps survived because Nuge had political connections. Nugents Camps are now owned by and leased from the State. The trains are very much worth seeing in the summer and you can still see the remnants of the log tramway. Further down Chamberlin Lake near the "farm camp" are the remains of large old steam engine. Neat area and great fishing.

• Like 1