Check your account email address ×

Air Force wants to sandbag 33 F-22’s.

They are looking to side line the early block 20 airframes as those are the most problems. They are going to buy some F 15 EX to back fill as well. The US will have more retired 5th Gen planes than the rest of the world will have in operation combined. The F 22 has been a plane without a job since it took to the sky's which is why there are 186 of them instead of 1200 like the Air force had planned. We have already made and test flown a Gen 6 plane but I just don't see the need. The rest of the world has enough trouble with our 4th Gen and 4.5 Gen planes let alone 5th and now 6th.

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Plan is to invest that money into the 6th gen rather than throwing it down a rathole. 

I don't think most casual observers understand the F22 or the F35  for that matter. They represent a completely different kind of air warfare. 

Personally I think we need to stay as far ahead of our "competition" as we can. Better to have the best equipment in the world than to be behind the eight ball, especially when we have a bulls eye on our back.