Check your account email address ×

More MB diesel questions.

Still looking for a sprinter for my daughter and son in law. It’s a surprise gift. I found an “04 conversion with 140k. It’s a pre def 2.7 liter MB motor. 5 cylinder. Full service records. Seems to be a very economical rig to operate with 20+ mpg. It’s got some glow plug issues to sort out, but the price is good. I’ve researched the motor and it gets really high reviews. There’s quite a few 500k units out there all with the original running gear. Anyone have experience with this motor and chassis? Problem areas? 

I would stay away from any merc sprinter vans, not to many options for service when traveling. 

That engine did have some issues plus the struts on front was failing often on them 

also had transmission problems as well 

check engine means back to a dealer for the most part 

Edited by toslow

ones with 500k were fleet trucks and have had a lot of preventative maint . most regular joe construction guys who get em fixed when they are busted start having lots of expensive issues around 2ook then keep tossing cash at them till it looks so bad they dump them to a roofing crew . 1 spot of rust showing the next yr it is a fucking freckled ginger  

Just now, Ez ryder said:

ones with 500k were fleet trucks and have had a lot of preventative maint . most regular joe construction guys who get em fixed when they are busted start having lots of expensive issues around 2ook then keep tossing cash at them till it looks so bad they dump them to a roofing crew . 1 spot of rust showing the next yr it is a fucking freckled ginger  

imho if i were building a new camper why start with old shit just get a new cheep ram run it 5 yrs till sick of the camping bullshit and still get somthing for a relatively low Mi newer van that prob still has warrantee. if you are not spending at least 15 on a used sprinter it is prob not tossing the 4 starting in to it  to make it somthing you would even want . let alone somthing most chicks would want to spend any time in 

7 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

imho if i were building a new camper why start with old shit just get a new cheep ram run it 5 yrs till sick of the camping bullshit and still get somthing for a relatively low Mi newer van that prob still has warrantee. if you are not spending at least 15 on a used sprinter it is prob not tossing the 4 starting in to it  to make it somthing you would even want . let alone somthing most chicks would want to spend any time in 

If you’d read my IP you’d see it’s a conversion van. It’s an “04 Leisure Travel. Full self contained unit. Other than some minor rust on the doors it’s mint. The underside was treated with a marine coating early in its life. Generator and solar are both working. It’s short cash on the wholesale market. I’m not concerned at all about the chassis or the systems because I’m very familiar with the class B rv market. I have virtually no experience with the MB sprinter  

2 hours ago, toslow said:

I would stay away from any merc sprinter vans, not to many options for service when traveling. 

That engine did have some issues plus the struts on front was failing often on them 

also had transmission problems as well 

check engine means back to a dealer for the most part 

The 2.7 liter seems like a fairly straight forward motor. None of the def bullshit. Water pump, ac, EGR, alternator are all easy to get at. What kind of issues have you seen? I’ve yet to find anything major online.