Check your account email address ×

Piece of plastic fell inside valve cover

• Platinum Contributing Member

Was changing a heater core hose on my suv and while trying to get the new rubber hose on barb fitting on water pump in 20 degree weather, I slipped and pushed on the oil filler tube. The plastic tube cracked and broke off and a very small piece of plastic... .maybe the size of a grain of rice fell into the oil fill hole in valve cover.  Can this cause any damage or anything to worry about or will it just pass to the filter? I really dont want to have to take valve cover off to fish it out.....

and I still didn't get that damn hose on.....I guess I will try a torch to heat it up a bit tomorrow and see if that works, it's in a bad area and I can't get any leverage.

If the hose will fit in a coffee cup, nuke a cup of water, stick the hose in it for 15-20 seconds, and then try to push it on the nipple. I wouldn,t use the torch, heat from that or a heat gun will make it brittle, and you will have a hard time trying to get it to seal. If the piece that broke off is small enough to pass thru the oil passages and get down to the pan, I wouldn,t worry about it.

1 minute ago, Frostynuts said:

If the hose will fit in a coffee cup, nuke a cup of water, stick the hose in it for 15-20 seconds, and then try to push it on the nipple. I wouldn,t use the torch, heat from that or a heat gun will make it brittle, and you will have a hard time trying to get it to seal. If the piece that broke off is small enough to pass thru the oil passages and get down to the pan, I wouldn,t worry about it. If that don,t work, you could also try to put a bit of beaver butter inside the hose, and on the nipple, to get it on.

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 1/30/2021 at 12:46 AM, CFM said:

What year, make, model, and engine ?

2008 Escalade 6.2 L

On 1/30/2021 at 7:29 AM, Frostynuts said:

If the hose will fit in a coffee cup, nuke a cup of water, stick the hose in it for 15-20 seconds, and then try to push it on the nipple. I wouldn,t use the torch, heat from that or a heat gun will make it brittle, and you will have a hard time trying to get it to seal. If the piece that broke off is small enough to pass thru the oil passages and get down to the pan, I wouldn,t worry about it.

Thanks....the coffee cup and heated water is a great idea. Never thought of that and unfortunately didnt see the replies here til now. *forgot u dont get notifications unless quoted*....I ended up lightly heating it with a torch and sprayed a little silicone on it too. That did the trick and no leaks so far. :bc: I drove all day today and no issues from the plastic piece either....i think it was definitely small enough to pass.  Thanx

• Like 1