Check your account email address ×

Big Ten Football

racer254

Universities in the Big Ten are having a surge in COVID-19 cases but they are going to play FOOTBALL.   Now they are giving out warnings that people should not be gathering in groups to watch the games and there will be no fans in the stands.  So what is the real reason these Colleges are playing at all.  Obviously the fact that they are playing is going to cause people to tailgate and get together to watch the games which is not what the CDC wants.  So WHY?  Why are they playing football?

College kids and young athletes in general aren’t dying of Covid. There are some after affects they’re looking at (heart and lungs), but nothing definitive. These kids worked their tail off to get where they are - I say let them play. On an individual basis if you don’t want to play then don’t play.

49 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

MOney is why they are playing.   The athletics department needs the football playoff money and the B10 was going to get none.  It's why it's only an 8 week season ending  just in time to play in the bowls

Nailed it, it's all about the $$$ and has nothing to do with the kids.  It's all about GREED.

4 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

MOney is why they are playing.   The athletics department needs the football playoff money and the B10 was going to get none.  It's why it's only an 8 week season ending  just in time to play in the bowls

This and how many of these athletes would actually have to go to class and do homework since there would be no practices and games?  Think about what would happen to half of these guys, I bet many would be skipping a lot and probably would not be doing well.

33 minutes ago, racer254 said:

This and how many of these athletes would actually have to go to class and do homework since there would be no practices and games?  Think about what would happen to half of these guys, I bet many would be skipping a lot and probably would not be doing well.

some  of these kids finished their classes over the summer and are literally there just to play football in the fall and then get ready for the draft in the spring.  It's the minor leagues for the NFL that they don't have to pay for.  What a deal.  that said it does benefit a lot of other athletes in the schools as without football and basketball $ they would not have other sports.  The value society places on schools having top flight sports has gotten completely under control.  In most states the highest paid state employee is the football coach followed by basketball

I'm sure Money is one reason they are back on but the kids are not getting effected the same so why not play? My kid goes to Ohio State and they have given 60,000 tests with under 2,100 positives. Out of the 2,100 positives no hospital admissions and all have little too no symptoms. Let them play and enjoy their college experience! 

19 minutes ago, Laborer said:

I'm sure Money is one reason they are back on but the kids are not getting effected the same so why not play? My kid goes to Ohio State and they have given 60,000 tests with under 2,100 positives. Out of the 2,100 positives no hospital admissions and all have little too no symptoms. Let them play and enjoy their college experience! 

This is promoting the exact opposite of what they want for COVID-19.  Athletics promote gatherings, everyone wants to get together to watch sports and this just isn't something that some people are pushing with COVID -19.

I wish they would just open everything up, instead of making "exceptions"  Let them play, let them go to classes, let them go to spring break, let people enjoy their lives and stop putting this emphasis on COVID.  It is going to have to run it's course, just like any cold.  People will build immunity.

18 minutes ago, Laborer said:

Money is the only reason but I agree with the rest.   These kids should have their college experience given the little risk to them.  Sucks for my son and daughter.  My daughter had her freshman year ruined in the spring and is out at Kent State with no in person classes right now.   her only social activity is the sorority she is pledging where she can have small group meetings.   otherwise it's hang at a friends apartment or in your dorm.   for a month she has just eaten in her room because her friends in the sorority houses can't come to the dorms and she can't go to the house.  

My son has 4 of his 10 class blocks in person but at least he is only 25 minutes from school so he stayed home and kept working.  He'll save 10-15k in student loans over this as he got refunded last years room and board and isn't paying for it this year